Really scared to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are that nervous, get in a pool. Chlorine doesn't necessarily trigger psoriasis, it just further dries out the skin resulting in more dryness leading to more itching. Here are a few tips in order to do so:

1. apply a good layer of petroleum jelly(except the face) to your entire body just before getting in
2. practice with purpose here and get it done
3. immediately put on a moisturizer after getting out
4. go home ASAP and wash your hair and body with a chlorine removing shampoo and soap
5. put on another layer of moisturizer when damp after the shower

This will greatly reduce any irritations from the pool and you should be good to go. My wife is a nurse practitioner and this was her recommendation assuming your psoriasis isn't an extreme case. If there is a lake nearby, go that route just to be safe though. The pool is just an option and probably easier to get too.

Hi there, I just got certified recently too. Whenever I felt anxious, I made sure I took deep breaths. I took time before descending to breathe and make sure my heart rate was down before going. For me, I was really afraid to do the boat entry of rolling back into the water. Once I did it, I had to remind myself it wasn't that bad. However, these worked for me and may not work for you. Its difficult to say how anyone acts underwater. I've been lurking, but feel compelled to respond to this thread because I'm in the mental health field and think it's a good idea to check in with someone in regards to skills to keep your anxiety down and also your psychiatrist if you are on meds.Practicing mask clearing is one way, as it is exposure. I panicked in very shallow water the first time I had to clear my bcd, and certainly did not like the mask clearing either.
I am taking wellbutrin, but did not dive on it. I discussed with my psychiatrist and we decided to be on the safe side , since the medication can boost anxiety. The important thing is to keep yourself safe and within your own limits, I'm not trying to speak as a newbie diver, but as someone who has some knowledge of what anxiety can do to people (seems like lots of people here do too!) like I've read many times here, it's okay to call a dive :)

Hmm I just wrote something but don't see it. Sorry if it becomes a double post. I am prescribed wellbutrin (an antidepressant) and discussed with my doctor first about diving on it. We decided to be on the safe side and not take the medication during the trip as one side effect is possible heightened anxiety. I'm not even close to being suicidal or anything, but it makes me feel lighter. Therefore, my psychiatrist and I felt good about learning how to dive. If you have a professional you can go to, maybe it's a good time to check in. Know your limits (which can change of course!), and never feel bad about respecting them, even if it means delaying certification.

Scuba is not for everyone. There's no judgment. If it's not for you, let it go, then carry on and find some other activity or adventure that brings you joy.

Last edited:
... I'm absolutely terrified...

As a salty old US Navy Master Diver once said to me "What the hell are you doing!". This is for fun right? Diving can be dangerous right? Panic is the leading cause (contributor) of diver death right?

I'm NOT saying you should not dive. I am saying you don't need to push yourself faster than you are ready. Given your chlorine sensitivity and apparent lack of fresh water lakes and rivers nearby, I am guessing you don't feel that you are a confident swimmer. I believe that this contributes to panic in a considerable number of divers that shouldn't be in the water.

If my guess is correct, see if you can delay your Scuba class and work on your swimming skills. Wear a mask only and work on becoming very comfortable in the water. Once you are, then start to learn by snorkeling and freediving in the ocean. You can master clearing your mask in salt water while dramatically improving your comfort in the ocean. Only after YOU feel confident and ready, then consider completing your Scuba class. What's the rush?

Being a little anxious before doing anything new is normal. Being terrified is a warning sign. Scuba is not for everyone. Ask yourself why you are getting certified? If it is not because YOU want to...don't. Do not get certified to please anyone but you as that will not make you happy and just puts you and everyone around you at risk. Life is short, do what makes you happy, not what causes issues in your life.
... I'm absolutely terrified. Part of the fear is that, during training, it took me forever to learn to clear my mask....
It often takes a bit for people to get the hang of this. I hate water around my nose, or I should say I use to when I first got certified. Now I am comfortable with it. Practice in tub or better Jacuzzi. To do it right you need to be able to keep your head in the water, look up so the water inside the mask is next to your skin, press gently on top of mask and exhale through the nose gently.
... What happens if my mask falls off under water?...
Usually it sinks. This is a rare occurrence. I teach and dive with divers who are disabled. Paraplegic and double above the knee amputees swim with their arms, which means I have a greater risk of getting my mask knocked off. So far it has never happened. A mask strap could break, but you check your gear for wear and tear before and after a dive so that should not happen. A seal or sea lion could pull it off if they grab your snorkel to play keep away. So what happens? You calmly reach into your pocket (pockets on dry or wetsuits are great) and retrieve the spare mask you carry and put it on.
... I have an anxiety disorder and panic easily. ...
Um... Not a good thing in SCUBA Divers. Panic can kill if you bolt for the surface and injure other divers who race after you to keep you from injuring yourself.
...I would be much more relaxed if our first certification dives are in a bay or lake. Do you think that the instructor would allow that?
Your instructor could. But answer this question, The open ocean and the bay or lake are all environments that have the following in common 1.) Water 2.) water that is going to exceed 20 feet, 3.) animals such as fish etc and 4.) you on scuba at 20-60 feet. So what is the difference between you diving in a bay or lake rather than the open ocean? How would that make you less anxious? What are you anxious about exactly? I find it humorous that people are fine SCUBA diving in water 100 feet deep, but panic when you suggest a dive to 40 feet in water 1,000 feet deep. Anything over 1/2 inch is enough to drown in. So what is the difference?
... Sorry if this post is a little messy, but im having anxiety now just typing this.
This is a real red flag. If just thinking about it has your heart racing, this may not be the sport for you.

Before you go any further spend some quality time alone and think on these things:
1. Why do YOU want to SCUBA Dive? If it is not you who wants to dive, then don't.
2. What exactly is it about SCUBA Diving that makes you anxious?
a.) The water?
b.) Being Under water?
c.) Being 30-60 feet down?
d.) The marine life? aka sharks. (Shark week causes a lot of fear with their unnatural portrayals of sharks. They chum the water with blood and meat/fish for days to attract sharks that are excited and not acting as they normally do. There are youtube videos of a lady snorkeling and holding the fin of a Great White and taking a ride repeatedly. They are not the monsters shark week makes them out to be. If you want to fear something, be afraid of the vending machine as that is significantly more likely to kill you than a shark.
e.) Fear of drowning? Then don't drown, check your air and keep the regulator in your mouth and breathe.
f.) You don't have a specific fear, just general terror. If this is it, I would suggest you would be much happier with another sport.
Identify you specific fear/panic/terror and then decide if this is something you want to challenge and conquer or not. IF this is a significant fear, you need to conquer it BEFORE you go SCUBA diving. Underwater on compressed air is not the place to work on issue you should solve in therapy or in a bath tub first. Again, do what makes you happy.

Life is short, do what makes you happy. If SCUBA upsets you, then do what makes you happy. Don't do it to please a friend.

Last edited:
  • Being comfortable in the water & able to deal with minor mishaps is essential.
  • Do your training on your schedule.

If you are doing this because you want to, then take your time and find a way to get in the water and practice your skills until you are ready to move on.

There is no hurry. The ocean isn't going anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom