Reappearing River, BC, Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is some gorgeous cave. Thanks for sharing Brian!

Wow! Neat.

I have never been cave diving. What lives in these kinds of caves? I never see anything alive in people's videos, but I don't know if there are organisms that are microscopic or otherwise unknown to me.

Sounds like Brian will be upgrading from his bear spray!

Plus it comes with a free rifle hanger...a win-win. :D

Funny you guys should mention that. A good Albertan should never be without a gun rack and I've got my eye on this great little pump shotgun that is made for people who don't think that bear spray is enough.

Wow! Neat.

I have never been cave diving. What lives in these kinds of caves? I never see anything alive in people's videos, but I don't know if there are organisms that are microscopic or otherwise unknown to me.

We saw some white worms and some white copepod-like critters in the cave. Kevin said he saw a white salamander-ish creature but I didn't see it so that doesn't count. There was a trout quite far back that must have been blown in there last time there was high water as it would have required it to do 2 portages to get there now.

Funny you guys should mention that. A good Albertan should never be without a gun rack and I've got my eye on this great little pump shotgun that is made for people who don't think that bear spray is enough.

Firing the bear spray may have a lot less legal implications than firing that shotgun at a bear, especially if it's within national park limits :)

Henrik

Firing the bear spray may have a lot less legal implications than firing that shotgun at a bear, especially if it's within national park limits :)

Henrik

Its Canada not NY :D

Actually we did see a few bears but mostly scampering across the road.

:hijack:
This is my bear spray can. It sprays little 300 gr chunks of lead at a little more than 2000 feet per second. It holds 11 rounds and can also shoot 45 Colt rounds. I handload my own ammo for this one.
P1020565~0.JPG

I also cast and handload my own 1 oz (438 gr) slugs for my shotguns, but the shotguns will only shoot to about 1200 fps and the mag capacity is only 5. I like the versatility of the shotguns -- you can use them for grouse and for bears. But when it comes to strict bear duty, I prefer the Rossi.
:hijack:

Its Canada not NY :D

Actually we did see a few bears but mostly scampering across the road.

FYI, the bear population in that area of the island is approximately 7 bears per square kilometre. In that region alone I counted 42 bears in one day while travelling those back roads. The bear density is probably the highest of anywhere in BC. That valley also supports a substantial population of Roosevelt elk and lots and lots of cougars. Pretty beautiful country isn't it? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom