Rebreather info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reading this thread (and a couple of old print articles on RB)... sounds like a great thing do...

if there's a "discover rebreathers" stint here i'd definitely like to give it a go, especially if there are no special training requirements

Jag

Graham, Which modal are you consideration?:wink:
moose_hk:
Jason - I thought I said all the others were toys :D

Based on the three aside from Mk15 (which rocks) that I have used:

KISS nice system but the PO2 monitoring is very fragile :(
Inspiration way over priced with the strong pound - I have a friend in the navy who says that all the parts are very low spec and made on the cheap - I can not confirm this either way.
Draeger purely recreational - which begs the question why bother if a single 80 will do it?

Graham

I will keep you posted if I will be able to put on a demonstration in Manila. I am still waiting to hear back from my friend. From personal experience I teach Inspiration, Evolution, Kiss and I am qualified with the MEG. The KISS I would really only want to do moderate technical dives with. I have had more problems then most with the display units having to replace them numerous times. The Inspiratio/Evolution are the most popular with the MEG really picking up speed. The Inspiration/Evolution is consisted of a lot of lightweight plastic components compared to the MEG. The MEG has real durable components. AS far a durability goes I think the MK15.5 will even beat the MEG. Some of the things I do not like about the MK 15.5 is that one of the sides you can not automatically plug in a off board gas with out having to modify the unit. Again I have not dove the MK15.5 personnaly but showed by my friend before a dive. I find it a big safety factor to be able to plug in off board gases on long, deep exploration dives. I also find small 2 liter tanks a bit small. a two liter tanks does not go all that far having to do dill flushes and having to fill a bladder with at extreme depths. The MEG you can choose what size of off board tanks you want to use and can also plug in off board tanks. One good thing that I like about the MK15.5 is the large scrubber, I think it held about 4 kg of dive sorb.

One comment I said was about the offboard tanks for the MEG. I actually ment to say the onboard tanks. On the MEG you can mount larger tanks to it with no problems.

andibk

Jason Ooi:
Graham, Which modal are you consideration?:wink:

I have owned two MK15s (both modified to add off board gas - which is a simple and cheap mod), I am a normoxic trimix instructor on inspirations and have used the KISS. I consider rebreathers very dangerous tools (some more than others but all are very dangerous) and I don't consider them suitable (or necessary) for the majority of users or diving. I would only use them now for marine biological work where no bubbles are important and for gas logistics. Since I am not doing any diving that I consider requires the gas logistics of a RB (I regularly dive OC trimix upto 100m) I sold all my units.

I would recommend that people buy a scooter before they buy a RB, they are a safer tool (that can still get you into trouble, alot easier to travel with setup and maintain and most importantly open up more diving opportunities.

I have this opinion with ~400 hours on rebreathers.

Graham

I would go as far to say "I would recommend golf clubs to many divers I have seen"

:D :D :D

moose_hk:
I would go as far to say "I would recommend golf clubs to many divers I have seen"

:D :D :D
yes but the k divers are slow golfers too.....

Where is Pakman!?

:lol:

moose_hk:
I have owned two MK15s (both modified to add off board gas - which is a simple and cheap mod), I am a normoxic trimix instructor on inspirations and have used the KISS. I consider rebreathers very dangerous tools (some more than others but all are very dangerous) and I don't consider them suitable (or necessary) for the majority of users or diving. I would only use them now for marine biological work where no bubbles are important and for gas logistics. Since I am not doing any diving that I consider requires the gas logistics of a RB (I regularly dive OC trimix upto 100m) I sold all my units.

I would recommend that people buy a scooter before they buy a RB, they are a safer tool (that can still get you into trouble, alot easier to travel with setup and maintain and most importantly open up more diving opportunities.

I have this opinion with ~400 hours on rebreathers.

Graham

wow graham, you certainly know your toys. rebreathers are defintely on my wish list but not anytime soon

Back
Top Bottom