Recent Bonaire Feedback Requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll love Bonaire. PROMISE.

The viz is often perfect, 100+ I have a picture that I'm too lazy to upload from the Hilma hooker where you can see half the 300+ foot wreck...from 50 feet away. Sometimes the viz drops to 75 feet. That's about the worst I've seen.

The reefs are probably the best in the Carribean (unless you go to Cuba- from what I've heard). Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe the Hurricane hurt them. You'll NEVER know the difference. I don't. If someone says the viz or reef was disappointing...please smack them upside the head for me.
icon_biggrin.gif

Crime; I've been there twice, and only had one problem. I got complacent and let my buddies bring a bunch of stuff; bags, glasses, keys...I lost a camera bag that was zipped up, and only had a few batteries and my Multi-Cam hat (from Afghanistan) in it. One buddy lost a zipped up bag with his glasses in it. But they left a pair of reading glasses that were in the open, as well as a room key in the glove compartment (they opened that). They only took the CLOSED bags. They left the mesh bags.

I don't believe it was the locals. I think it was other divers (this was at Tolo). The locals have a vested interest in keeping crime low. Again; I think the main reason was that I got complacent and didn't want to waste time convincing them, and waiting for them to take the stuff back to the rooms. Simple tips you've heard: roll down the windows, unlock the doors, and only bring stuff you won't mind losing- towels, a cheap pair of sunglasses, water bottles, you know what you'll need. Set up your unit before you leave your hotel, put on your suit there, and don't bring a bag. Minimalist diving. Take your key underwater with you.

Now, if you NEED to bring something (medication, save a dive kit, etc.), PM me. I know EVERY place to hide something on a Toyota Hi-Lux. I did three tours in places where the Hi-Lux is about the only vehicle that the locals drive (other than the family motorcycle). Need to hide an AK? RPG launcher? I'll tell you where!
icon_biggrin.gif
As Mr. Earle said; "I learned a thing or two from haji, don't you know..."

With respect to medications, I left my asthma inhaler out in plain sight and no one touched it. We were there for two weeks and nothing was taken from our trucks. The only sign of potential crime was that our camera rinse tub was moved. We came up from a dive and it had been slid across the truck to the far edge so someone could easily peek inside to see if we forgot an expensive goodie or two. They didn't bother taking any of our cheap sunglasses or dive snacks.

I had a camera bag for when we went to a more remote area as I would want to take my camera out of its u/w housing. During all of the dives I left it wide open in the truck cab so they could see what was in there.

I liked my trip to Bonaire but I don't see myself returning. We were there for two weeks and dove almost every day and I found the diving repetitive.

With respect to medications, I left my asthma inhaler out in plain sight and no one touched it.
Yes, it seems like the thiefs are at least considerate. They left one of my buddies prescription glasses, but took another guy's that were hidden inside a gear bag. I think the thieves what dive gear and stuff they can use. This is another reason why I don't think it's the locals doing the stealing. Glasses and an inhaler would be very useful and profitable for a local, but not a vacationer.

But...for something as important as an inhaler; why take chances? Hi-Lux seats are open at the bottom, so fold the backseat forward, and reach up inside the seat and pull out a little stuffing. Hide the inhaler in there. Takes a few seconds to retrieve, but even a thief wouldn't feel it unless they too reached up inside the seat in that exact spot.

II had a camera bag for when we went to a more remote area as I would want to take my camera out of its u/w housing. During all of the dives I left it wide open in the truck cab so they could see what was in there.
Yep. That was my mistake. I zipped it up like it was holding something.

I liked my trip to Bonaire but I don't see myself returning. We were there for two weeks and dove almost every day and I found the diving repetitive.
eek.gif

Safety Stop: All dives OUTSIDE the park are 1 tank dives. The park is a full day, three tank dive trip.

To Doctorfish's post about drinking the water, I add that the water is VERY delicious.

Buddy dive has both 1 and 2 tank boat dives in the AM most days. Signing up on the chalkboard can be a bit of a chore as the 2 tankers tend to fill quickly. Murphin at BD is an incredible Divemaster. If you can get on his boat you are lucky. He speaks about 5 languages, is very knowledgeable, has great eyes, and seems to know where every sea horse and frogfish on the reef lives.

I don't believe it was the locals. I think it was other divers (this was at Tolo). The locals have a vested interest in keeping crime low.

Last September we too had out truck pilfered for the first time while diving at Andrea II. This after 17 weeks on Bonaire spread over 16 years. We saw the same local kids in the area on bikes and scooters both before and after our dive, so I'm guessing it was probably them. If it wasn't them they definitely saw who did it, but they weren't up for talking about it. They fished my wife's small cloth bag out from under the seat, stole her $8 sunglasses, and returned the bag where they found it. Other trivial items in the bag, like her hair pick etc., were untouched. In hindsight we were surprised that they took the time to look through the bag and return it. In most cases we've read about thieves will grab a closed bag, make their getaway, and then go through the bag later. Often times the discarded items are found further down the road. We always leave our towels, nalgene water bottles, sandals, shorts, and t-shirts, and our old mesh dive bags scattered about the backseat and truck bed. All of them have always been left alone.

We've enjoyed another 3 week trip since then without incident and are looking to returning again later this year. Little bubbles = little troubles.

It's possible your goodies were stolen by other vacationing divers, but unlikely. It's a well known fact... proven and documented over time by police, local residents, and, tourists... that the majority of property crime on Bonaire is perpetrated by local criminals. This especially includes vehicle break-ins and theft at remote dive sites an unattended vacation properties. I agree that "the locals have a vested interest in keeping crime low." That's why the majority of them are so upset and frustrated when they too are victims of the minority few bad eggs. We have several friends that reside on the island and they've told us how frustrating this is for them too.

This is another reason why I don't think it's the locals doing the stealing. Glasses and an inhaler would be very useful and profitable for a local, but not a vacationer.

In most cases I don't think prescription glasses or an inhaler would be useful or profitable to a petty thief. The odds are minuscule that he requires or desires either specific prescription. Plus healthcare is highly subsidized for Bonaireans, which reduces local cash-based demand for these items. The local criminals are primarily looking for things they can use personally or quickly resell like cameras, smartphones, tablets, laptops, and cash. Everyday dive gear items like mask, fins, snorkel, weights, or tanks aren't sought by criminals either because there's no resell market for it. (Frankly if I was a vacationing dive bandit the first thing I'd steal is full tanks and weights so I could dive for free every day.) With higher cost of living and lower wages since the government change on Bonaire in 2010 there's also been a rise in theft of car parts stolen from rental vehicles at dive sites. Divers have returned to find wheels, batteries, radios, tail lights, and bumpers missing from their vehicles. The same is also happening to private vehicles parked on private and public property all around the island.

Again, there's no historical data indicating these thefts are done by tourists, and plenty that they're perpetrated by local criminals. If you want to get a feel for the characteristics of crime on Bonaire over a period of time, rather than the narrower context of your experience as a victim during your short visit, take a look at the police logs posted on the police website (Dutch translation required) or paraphrased and translated versions of these logs on the Forum Bonaire Facebook page.

All dives OUTSIDE the park are 1 tank dives.

The two largest dive operations on Bonaire, Dive Friends Bonaire and Buddy Dive, both regularly offer 2 tank dives locally. For DFB 1 tank dives are only scheduled by exception based on demand.

. . .

Two weeks is a long trip. I think I prefer one week. Almost anywhere would get repetitive after two weeks.

I've often remarked that the one thing I find less than optimal about Bonaire is the similarity of the dive sites. The most commonly dived sites are much more similar to each other than they are different. If you want to do something a little different, you have to make an effort. We will definitely return to Bonaire, though. We love the whole experience of picking our own dive sites, driving there in our rental truck, and just being on our own schedule in general. Other than Bonaire, we do no shore diving, so it's a total novelty to us.

Two weeks is a long trip. I think I prefer one week. Almost anywhere would get repetitive after two weeks. Other than Bonaire, we do no shore diving, so it's a total novelty to us.

The beauty of 2 weeks (or more) is that you don't feel rushed. With 1 week we can't dive first day - I'm exhausted after travel, short tempered and prolly not cognitively functional. Sunday we setup gear, stock in groceries, usually get 1 shakedown dive in. That leaves Mon - Thurs to hit it hard. We follow the 24 hr no-fly so Fri we give all the gear a quick rinse, let it dry all day and pack it up late in the day. We could get a Friday dive in, but I've learned diving, rushing and me are things that don't mix.

I don't find the diving repetitive - there is always a new ledge, rock or sponge to look in/under or interesting animal behavior to observe, for me, YMMV. I've been known to spend a dive camped out on 1 coral head to watch what wanders by and what they do. Saw a group of 5 Coneys surround and take out a small octopus. Fascinating, well-coordinated strike that I watched for 1/2 hour. Watched file fish feasting on comb jellies, it was like a big party! And the list goes on...

Actually, if I had the luxury of TWO weeks in Bonaire instead of just one, I wouldn't hesitate to intersperse a couple of days off with the dive days. We do generally take an afternoon off in the middle of our week and go to Lac Bay or something. But it would be nice to not feel like we need to cram all the diving in that we can possibly do in one week.

As for diving the same site, I completely agree that one could dive the same site several days in a row and not see the same thing. Really, you could dive the same site over and over at different depths and see different things. But that's not what I meant about "repetitive." I said "The most commonly dived sites are much more similar to each other than they are different." The underwater topography is generally pretty predictable.

I don't find Bonaire diving to be repetitive or boring, even after 3 weeks. I guess I must be wired differently. I'm honestly content to enjoy new dive experiences on the Same Old Reef day after day.

But then again, I've been sleeping with the same woman for more than 5000 nights too. I'm not tired of her either. :eyebrow:

Two weeks is a long trip. I think I prefer one week. Almost anywhere would get repetitive after two weeks.

I've often remarked that the one thing I find less than optimal about Bonaire is the similarity of the dive sites. The most commonly dived sites are much more similar to each other than they are different. If you want to do something a little different, you have to make an effort. We will definitely return to Bonaire, though. We love the whole experience of picking our own dive sites, driving there in our rental truck, and just being on our own schedule in general. Other than Bonaire, we do no shore diving, so it's a total novelty to us.

I think 10 days would have been perfect. With the change in flight times (thanks, United) and the costs incurred just to get down there, I wouldn't have wanted to go for just a week.

We did a day of diving in the park and I didn't love that either. The scenery was quite pretty but I would have rather just gone hiking or exploring instead of diving as I didn't see much difference in the reef to make up for the challenging entry and the hassle of bringing up enough tanks for 3 dives and spares. We did Boka Bartol (and two other dives) which has coral formations to swim through, which was fairly nice, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that someone devote their day to diving up there. Our scheduled east coast dives were blown out twice due to high winds which was also a bit frustrating.

I do most of my diving in Ontario and most of it is shore diving! I haven't done the boat dive vacation thing yet, so maybe I need that experience before going back to Bonaire in order to really make up my mind.

I definitely would stay somewhere new (we were at BonaireFun, associated with the Dive Hut, and I am in no rush to return) and would probably try to use a different dive operator as I found Wannadive didn't necessarily deliver on its promises. Tanks weren't delivered in the morning, short fills, visibly damaged valves, highly inconsistent nitrox readings versus what was written in the tanks...

Also - I LOVE shipwrecks and marine history, so maybe I just need to find dive locations that are more up my alley! Truk is a dream trip, for example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom