Recent Bonaire Feedback Requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah; soooo repetitive. Get up, eat, dive, see totally something new, drive to another site, dive, see a fish I'd never seen and have to go look up, go eat, dive (again), see a fish behavior I don't understand and have to research, drive somewhere else, dive (again, really?) look at the amazing reefs, eat again, dive, admire the different fish and behaviors at night, drive home, sleep. REPEAT. I can't wait to do it again. :D:D:D

Sounds exactly like our trips. (And thanks for your previous tips on hiding stuff, you sound like a useful guy to have around.) I'd recommend the Reef Fish Behavior book (Deloach and Humann), companion to Reef Fish ID for more insight into behaviors. Good read, interesting observations and pics. About this time Saturday it will be wheels down, hello Bon! yippee yippee yippee!!! Getting out right before the next snow event.

Sounds exactly like our trips. (And thanks for your previous tips on hiding stuff, you sound like a useful guy to have around.

Thanks. as I think I said, Mr. Earle said it best; "I learned a thing or two from haji, don't you know..."

I'd recommend the Reef Fish Behavior book (Deloach and Humann), companion to Reef Fish ID for more insight into behaviors. Good read, interesting observations and pics..
Yes! I concur completely! I bought this after Christmas...and read it in about three days.:-(

I'm now re-reading it.:D

About this time Saturday it will be wheels down, hello Bon! yippee yippee yippee!!! Getting out right before the next snow event
Lucky you. I make it there in June.

So Repetitive- I go there EVERY year....:D

"I learned a thing or two from haji, don't you know..."
So Repetitive- I go there EVERY year....:D

Bwahhh!!
Yes, and after 10/15/20 consecutive years they give you an ambassador medal and put your picture in the paper (well the Bonaire Reporter) in a good way.

Bwahhh!!
Yes, and after 10/15/20 consecutive years they give you an ambassador medal and put your picture in the paper (well the Bonaire Reporter) in a good way.
Really? After going there for 10 years? hmmm.....8 more years (not counting this year) to go!

It's hard to believe that someone thinks the diving on Bonaire is repetitive. There are so many options, depending on your interests. Fish diversity? Bari Reef. Lots of soft corals? Soft Coral Gardens. Big schools of snappers? Margate Bay. Double reefs? Alice in Wonderland, Angel City (probably the most shallow double reef), or my favorite: The Rock. Turtles and White Spotted Eagle Rays? Lac Cai (only do as shore dive when wind is calm or during a reversal). Interesting topography? Margate Bay or Karpata. Lots of interesting critters? Tori's Reef. And on and on and on.

I have a feeling that if someone thinks the diving is repetitive, they didn't venture very far north or south of "hotel row".

---------- Post added February 27th, 2014 at 12:29 PM ----------

One last thing: we started coming to Bonaire in 2003, fell in love with it, and came back a few months later and bought our place. Since then, we've spent 6 months a year on the island (total time on Bonaire: about 2,000 days). The only thing we've ever had stolen from our truck was a fly swatter. We always leave doors unlocked and windows down. Just don't leave anything in the truck to tempt someone.

And yes, some of the reefs don't look as good as they once did, but some of the reefs are still very pretty. In general, the reefs in front of town and "hotel row" don't look as good as other sites north and south, but they are better than in many other places in the world.

I'm the one who first said I found it repetitive. I got back from Bonaire a month ago. We didn't do the Soft Coral Gardens or the east coast dives but I dove in the park, as far north as Nukove and as far south as Red Slave. I think I'm just wired differently than the Bonaire lovers or I'm at a place in my life (I just turned 30) and diving career where I need more variety... I wasn't having as much fun diving down there as I do when I'm in the murky vis, stunning wrecks and unpredictable currents that constitute diving up here. I like challenges and I'm definitely ADHD so I think I just need to keep searching for my ideal southern dive destination.

I was really glad I brought a camera with me because it gave me something to focus on while diving and keep me occupied. I've never had that feeling while diving at home. People told me I would be a total convert to warm water, southern diving but I actually felt the opposite. It felt like a chore and I actually considered giving up the sport during one of my dives because if this was the pinnacle (as Bonaire was hyped to be) and the "must see/must do" trip... Well, it wasn't doing it for me.

Different strokes for different folks :) it's what keeps things interesting!

I, too, frequently comment that Bonaire diving can be just slightly monotonous compared with places that have more varied topography. But as I think I said earlier in this thread, a week of such "monotony" is a wonderful vacation to me. I'm not sure I could handle two weeks back to back, though. As I may have also said, shore diving is a rarity for us, so we delight in the freedom of sitting on our patio with a cup of coffee deciding that very moment where we will be diving an hour from then. Being in total control is a kick for us. No stinkin' dive boat making decisions for us and forcing us to be on their schedule. It may be slightly monotonous in the water, but we enjoy the topside rituals--planning, driving, shopping/cooking/eating in our own place--so much that it more than overcomes any deficiency underwater. Monotony can be relaxing, too. We don't go to Bonaire to be challenged. It's a real vacation.

About to go on my 4th trip to Bonaire and have stayed at Harbour Village every time; we love it! Top notch accommodations (best on the Island) with a fantastic house reef in Something Special which doubles as my favorite night dive. The resort also has a beautiful beach (rare on Bonaire) and you can also dive in the shallow coral rubble there. We have seen some amazing things in 10' of water there; it seems to work as a nursery of sorts of all kinds of life and one time we were exploring on the bottom when this big shadow came over us, I look up and it is a bait ball being herded toward shore by a six foot barracuda - pretty awesome! If you can afford it, I recommend the ground level beachfront suite. Their dive shop - Great Adventures, is excellent and the staff is very helpful. Yes, reefs have suffered a little, but they have all over Caribbean, and the diving is still great. As to crime, it is of the petty variety that exists everywhere else on the planet and if you use common sense and don't leave valuable things in your vehicle, it shouldn't be a problem.

I, too, frequently comment that Bonaire diving can be just slightly monotonous compared with places that have more varied topography. But as I think I said earlier in this thread, a week of such "monotony" is a wonderful vacation to me. I'm not sure I could handle two weeks back to back, though. As I may have also said, shore diving is a rarity for us, so we delight in the freedom of sitting on our patio with a cup of coffee deciding that very moment where we will be diving an hour from then. Being in total control is a kick for us. No stinkin' dive boat making decisions for us and forcing us to be on their schedule. It may be slightly monotonous in the water, but we enjoy the topside rituals--planning, driving, shopping/cooking/eating in our own place--so much that it more than overcomes any deficiency underwater. Monotony can be relaxing, too. We don't go to Bonaire to be challenged. It's a real vacation.

Just back from 2 weeks, full report later. I fully respect your opinion that it could be monotonous, that's fine. And having a few (or more) years on some, give it some time and injuries and we can talk. Sitting on the porch and deciding right then and there to go for a dive - priceless! We brought 2 newly minted divers for the first week and the conditions were perfect for their learning curve. By day 3 we had them on the Hooker and day 4 did a night dive.

Sitting on the porch and deciding right then and there to go for a dive - priceless! We brought 2 newly minted divers for the first week and the conditions were perfect for their learning curve. By day 3 we had them on the Hooker and day 4 did a night dive.
+1000

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom