Recent report from LI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPLOU

Contributor
Reaction score
Boynton Beach/ former Long Island, NY (THE ISLAND)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thursday, 9/23 went to wreck called the Yankee. 130 ft. vis. was about 20-25 ft. About 8 nice size lobsters brought up. (6 on board incl. capt and crew). Surface water little choppy when frist went out, but flattened out in afternoon, but long swell started to come in.

Sat, 9/25. went to a wreck called Lizzie D. Prohibition era rum runner. its in 80 ft of water. Vis. was at most 3 ft, and that was fuzzy at that. Dive one cut short due to low vis. hoped it might improve for dive two, didn't think it could have gotten much worse, but we were wrong. In addition to basicly zero vis, there was surge and slight current.

Tomorrow scheduled to go to the San Diego. Can only pray for better vis. (but don't have hopes too high)

Good Luck with the San Diego Dive.

From what I understand, sea conditions on the south shore are supposed to continue deteriorating through Monday due to Jeanne.

We're going to try a night dive somewhere off the north shore around 10.

If you do get down there. let me know what condition the wreck is in. It's been years since I last dove the SD. I understand it's been breaking down a bit more rapidly as of late.

Scott

I am sure that Lou will fill you in more but visibility was good on the SD today (Sunday) - 20-30'. It started off choppy on the surface and a slight current by the wreck but as the day wore on, conditions on the surface improved. Temp. was 67 by the wreck. As they were my first deep dives for my AOW, they was awesome though a bit short due to gulping air at times... First time on the wreck, obviously, so can't say if it is breaking down :wink: Look forward to many more wreck dives as I think I may be hooked :)

Far_X:
As they were my first deep dives for my AOW, they was awesome though a bit short due to gulping air at times... First time on the wreck, obviously, so can't say if it is breaking down :wink: Look forward to many more wreck dives as I think I may be hooked :)

LOL- Yes, I think the San Diego is where they take everyone doing AOW boat dives. It's a pretty impressive intro to wreck diving in my opinion :crafty:

I'm glad the conditions improved for you all anyway. I had to blow off my night dive due to Jen's excessive homework load.

ScottyK:
LOL- Yes, I think the San Diego is where they take everyone doing AOW boat dives. It's a pretty impressive intro to wreck diving in my opinion :crafty:

I'm glad the conditions improved for you all anyway. I had to blow off my night dive due to Jen's excessive homework load.

Some instructors don't like to do the San Diego for AOW because it does go down to 110.
Unfortunately, on Sat I went with a group and there were two AOW students and a Wreck dive student, and Nitrox student. The instructor didn't want to go beyond 100' (the rule). We ended up on the Lizzie D. Vis was 2-3 ft MAX!

After that it was a relief to see 20-25 ft vis on the San Diego. We were tied in on the dark side, and I went over on that side. Some other divers went over to the light side and dove down that side. Some went foward and penetrated in the bow. For the first dive, I went toward the bow, and the second toward the stern. The dark side is much more deteriorated than the light side. I am told but not seen my self that the keel is broken and sticks up.

Originally Posted by Far_X
As they were my first deep dives for my AOW, they was
awesome though a bit short due to gulping air at times.

Worry not, it takes time. As you do more your consumption will get better. Then you will invest in larger tank etc.

Far_X glad you had good time. Good dives, good weather, good company, what more could you ask for?

What boat were you guys on? A group of us are heading to the San Diego this coming Sunday aboard the Eagles Nest, first time I am diving this wreck and am looking forward to it.

njrecoverydiver:
What boat were you guys on? A group of us are heading to the San Diego this coming Sunday aboard the Eagles Nest, first time I am diving this wreck and am looking forward to it.
We were on the Lockness which sails out from Freeport - great boat, great captain. He sails weekends mainly.

DeepLou:
Good dives, good weather, good company, what more could you ask for?
Company was great. I look forward to many more dives with members of the Dive Club and Wreck Valley.

njrecoverydiver:

Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

The sketch should help you out.

Thanks DEEPLOU, I just received Gary Gentiles book on the San Diego yesteday, it's loaded with information but your larger sketch will help in our planning.

Hey Lou,
I saw Jeff yesterday at the shop and I got in his AOW class since Adams was cancelled. Something I wanted to get done before winter sets in so, a good thing. He didn't say which wreck we'll dive on, he's still trying to get the class together to discuss which day to do it first.
See you later, Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom