Recertification?

Should divers be required to renew their certifications periodically?

• Yes

Votes: 30 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 67.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Incidentally, once you hit intructor/trainer level your recerts are done by one of your peers who attend a class and observe your teaching and demonstration of information... reciprocation for that instructor is appreciated. :)

Incidentally, once you hit intructor/trainer level your recerts are done by one of your peers who attend a class and observe your teaching and demonstration of information... reciprocation for that instructor is appreciated.

I'm all for recertification for instructors. We have it now but you mostly just send in money. Some kind of testing, I think, would be fine as long as it was meaningful. Unfortunately in many cases, initial instructor testing is kind of a joke. So again, what good would retesting be?

echo??

incidentally keep in mind, just plopping out as a devils advocate. I'm more than happy with peers taking matters into their own hands.

CBulla:
echo??

incidentally keep in mind, just plopping out as a devils advocate. I'm more than happy with peers taking matters into their own hands.

No way. I know a left wing recertification fanatic when I see one!

Gee - this thread is spreading like weeds!!

[sarcastic rant]

Yup, this is the "hot topic" for the summer of '05.

On the pojnt of "the ones left behind". This might sound callous but... Life's rough, get a helmut!!! If we want to think this way then because the risk can't be eliminated (remember, bad things can happen to even the most well trained divers) then you are automatically excluded from diving if you have kids, parents, wives/husbands/significant others, friends, co-workers, or even know or are known by anybody that might feel pain if something were to happen to you. Oh wait, that means nobody gets to dive any more.

In fact, why don't we break out the planet sized can of nerf foam right now, coat everything so nobody can ever die of anything but old age, have a giant group hug, and sing a rousing chorus of kumbiyah.

*********** that has got to be the lamest argument in favor regulation (industry/government/whatever) I've ever heard.

[/sarcastic rant]

Well, I see that my post was editted, and I didn't even swear yet. So TCDiver1, care to explain your criteria for determining what unnecessary emphasis is?

Many people don't care to see that name used in vain.

Thank you. You just highlighted why training agencies can't impose strict proper training, they're too worried about being politically correct in that they might offend someone by telling them something they don't want to hear, and get sued for it. Which leads us back to the topic at hand, the push to have recertification because divers weren't certified properly in the first place.

I have a motorcycle endorsement to my drivers license. As long as I renew it when I renew my drivers license it is good. I don't have to prove I own a motrocycle or have ridden one since I last renewed or take a test. I could go 20 years without owning or riding a motorcycle and then buy one and be legal to ride it. Why should I be forced to renew my dive certification if I don't dive for a few years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom