Recertification?

Should divers be required to renew their certifications periodically?

• Yes

Votes: 30 33.0%
  • No

Votes: 61 67.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragon2115:
Thank you. You just highlighted why training agencies can't impose strict proper training, they're too worried about being politically correct in that they might offend someone by telling them something they don't want to hear, and get sued for it.

Your welcome, glad to give you material for your trememdous stretch.

What stretch? You chose political correctness over freedom of speech simply because you THOUGHT that how I chose to say something MIGHT offend someone somewhere.

So what's the difference between what you did and a training agency that's unwilling to tell a prospective diver that they're too fat, too weak, or too stupid to be a diver simply because they're afraid of offending them and the possible fallout that may result?

captain:
I have a motorcycle endorsement to my drivers license. As long as I renew it when I renew my drivers license it is good. I don't have to prove I own a motrocycle or have ridden one since I last renewed or take a test. I could go 20 years without owning or riding a motorcycle and then buy one and be legal to ride it. Why should I be forced to renew my dive certification if I don't dive for a few years.

Wow.. I'm reporting you to the Louisiana Department of Motor Vehicles (just kidding).

PS- NOT a member of the SCUBA Police yet... but I'm looking into the academy!

Dragon2115:
What stretch? You chose political correctness over freedom of speech simply because you THOUGHT that how I chose to say something MIGHT offend someone somewhere.

So what's the difference between what you did and a training agency that's unwilling to tell a prospective diver that they're too fat, too weak, or too stupid to be a diver simply because they're afraid of offending them and the possible fallout that may result?

LOL ..... i haven't been called PC in a long time .... no wait, i don't think i've ever been called PC. First time for everything i guess.

Heres a idea dragon, how about staying on topic. Your opinion on whats considered PC and what isn't, has nothing to do with this thread.

You want to debate PC-ness and/or how it relates to scuba training today, start a thread. Otherwise, stay on topic in this one.

Have a nice day. :)

MikeFerrara:
I'm all for recertification for instructors. We have it now but you mostly just send in money. Some kind of testing, I think, would be fine as long as it was meaningful. Unfortunately in many cases, initial instructor testing is kind of a joke. So again, what good would retesting be?
IMO, the only truly meaningful testing of instructors would be to take a sampling of their output (students), and run them through some testing. That would be the ideal, even though it's a bit unpractical.

This is part of current social philosophy where a large segment of the population believe it is their responsibility to protect others from themselves. If the current social philosophy had exisited in 1492 America may not have been discovered because Chris Columbus would have been prevented from sailing less he fall off the edge of the world. I seriously dought man will ever venture very much further into space because of the reluctance of letting those willing to explore assume some risk.

When I started the poll it was with the fervent hope and expectation that the subversive, communistic element in our midst would be soundly trounced. I am disconcerted to see that they have garnered 21 votes. Let it serve as a reminder that we must remain ever vigilant if we are to protect our way of life.

Oh yeah, I voted "no".

vladimir:
When I started the poll it was with the fervent hope and expectation that the subversive, communistic element in our midst would be soundly trounced. I am disconcerted to see that they have garnered 21 votes. Let it serve as a reminder that we must remain ever vigilant if we are to protect our way of life.

Oh yeah, I voted "no".

Sigh, I guess I'm one of those commie pinkos. Been called that since the 60's so nothing new! Actually I view the roots of my concern as coming from the Bible (even though I don't consider myself religious in a conventional sense). My brothers keeper (although I'd rather focus my efforts on my "sisters!"

captain:
This is part of current social philosophy where a large segment of the population believe it is their responsibility to protect others from themselves. If the current social philosophy had exisited in 1492 America may not have been discovered because Chris Columbus would have been prevented from sailing less he fall off the edge of the world. I seriously dought man will ever venture very much further into space because of the reluctance of letting those willing to explore assume some risk.

Bullseye.

drbill:
Sigh, I guess I'm one of those commie pinkos. Been called that since the 60's so nothing new! Actually I view the roots of my concern as coming from the Bible (even though I don't consider myself religious in a conventional sense). My brothers keeper (although I'd rather focus my efforts on my "sisters!"

Be careful about taking 3 words out od context from scripture and trying to use them to make a point. but...if you insist on helping me, I desperately need a new roof and siding on my house. I still need 2 more tires for the truck and I'm out of a job at the end of this month. If you take care of those things for me I might get to go diving and then we can discuss how you can help with that...helium is expensive and I always appreciate help getting all the gear up and down those big Missouri hills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom