Recommend a computer that can download dives to desktop computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've got the Oceanic Pro Plus, and I refuse to pay $90 just for the stupid USB download cable. Are there any options open to me? A computer that actually has a reasonably priced cable, or one that includes a cable?

A user replaceable battery would be great too.

Look at SubGear (off brand ScubaPro). Uses a generic IR dongle (think they can be gotten for $5-$15). One model is the XP-10.

I use the Shearwater Predator. It connects to the computer using Bluetooth, so no cable is necessary. It also takes a standard high-voltage AA battery that you can get at Radio Shack and change yourself using a quarter to unscrew the battery door.

Problem is that most dive computers that meet your criterion are quite expensive. My old Mares Nemo Air used a proprietary cable. My new Scubapro Luna uses an Infrared dongle. It's quite expensive from Scubapro but you can use a generic Infrared dongle from what other Luna owner's have posted. I've seen some around $20.00 and the software is free from Scubapro. It works very nicely and downloads the dives very quickly. $1000 Scubapro Luna or $90 Cable? Overall, I've been very pleased with its ease of use, ergonomics and features. Don't know if you're comfortable using a wireless transmitter.

I know you don't relish paying $90.00 for the cable, but it might the path of least resistance.

C.

Cables on DC's are generally speaking costly, but buying a new computer instead of a cable is a bit over the top IMO. As mentioned the Predator uses Bluetooth for comms, have user replaceable batteries but the unit is not cheap. I would rather just buy a new cable for your current computer.

If you are looking to buy something new rather get a Suunto Zoop with download cable. It gives you a great DC, user replaceable batteries, Nitrox, large readable display and a phosphorescent LCD.

I've got the Oceanic Pro Plus, and I refuse to pay $90 just for the stupid USB download cable. Are there any options open to me? A computer that actually has a reasonably priced cable, or one that includes a cable?

A user replaceable battery would be great too.

get the Oceanic cable. The Pro Plus2 is a phenomenal computer for the recreational diver, and the logging software is equally good. $90 is one of the best investments that you can make.. And there is no reason that you cannot change the battery yourself if you have basic mechanical skills.

If you are using a PC the software for the Oceanic is available. If you are using a Mac you will need to find other software to download. Either way you will need a cable. At least the cable is cheaper than buying a new computer.............Unless you just want to.:D

I have a predator as well. I'd think about getting the cable though if you just bought it. However this is from someone who sold their cable for my veo because the software sucked big ones. Could never get it to work. Went back to a paper log. Easier and less frustrating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom