recommend a dive magazine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:dazzler1: :dazzler1: I think that Sport Diver, the magazine of the PADI diving society is great, as well as Rodale's Scuba Diving, and if you have DAN, Alert diver.

I'm a new diver, so I just subscribed to Rodale's Scuba Diving, and I was disappointed to see the pages and pages of ads for travel, dive resorts etc. In fact, it seems like the main stories are even about "best dive spots" which read like travel brochures. Not as much on diving techniques, safety, or other things I want to know. But, they seem to have good gear reviews from time to time. I've read one issue of Dan's Alert Diver and it looks excellent, and I got several copies of Dive Training from my dive shop which were also great. Lots of stuff online, too.

Good luck!

Kelli

Advanced Diver ***
Put out Curt Bowen, one my confederate moderators on this board - this is a good magazine for those looking to move from recreational diving into technical diving. I especially like that they are willing to look beyond the fashionable and consider new technologies and techniques.

Fathoms **
Bret Gilliam returns to the magazine business with a journal that focuses on trips (BIG trips) to places most of us only dream of. Lots of details, lots of photos, this is my favorite travelogue.

Immersed ***
Bernie Chowdhury publishes a journal with a wide ranging focus on technical diving issues from gear to hard science to to techiques to...

Scuba Diving *
Until recently owned by Rodale's, this magazine is still the grand-daddy of the sport diving rags. Lots of pictures, lots of ads, the publication has a heavy lean towards recreational warm-water travel and gear. There is a lot of room to complain about their gear reviews but I don't think they're as biased as some more excitable folks would have us believe and they certainly have the most extensive gear evaluations around.

Sport Diver *
The official PADI rag, it's basically Scuba Diving Lite with monthly updates on all the wonderful things PADI is doing for the world. Free to PADI members.

Wreck Diving **
A new publication and, if the first two issues are any indication, it's going to be a winner. A heavy focus on wrecks around the world, it's got long stories with impressive research into the histories of the wrecks, lots of images and contributions by some A-list names.

One more vote for Dive Training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom