Recommend me a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One uses the industry standard transmitter and has a compass, selectable gradient factors, and the ability to display SurfGF or a tissue saturation graph. The other looks like a cheap kid's toy.
I agree. The graphics are very busy, “artsy” and not intuitive.

And you accuse us of a ‘herd mentality’?

Yes, pretty much so, but actually it is a cult mentality.

Yes, pretty much so, but actually it is a cult mentality.
It is kind of cultish but the SW is an excellent computer (in general having no experience with the new one’s) at least no one is suggestion the other “S” brand.

ScubaPro makes great regs but they’re out of their league when it comes to computers.

This is the problem with the "cultist" thinking here. One criticizes one aspect of a sacred cow product and all hell gets loose. I wasn't saying in anyway that SW makes bad products or that their customer service is bad or that they are inferior. I was commenting that one product is unjustifiably way too expensive and there is another product from another vendor with all the features the OP needs at a MUCH less price. A less expensive and more appropriate product.

Lighten the freaking up guys. You're drinking too much of the cool aid and going blind.

Are you buying the dive computer to display information for you or to stare at it for entertainment? Have you used one? I have, for a short dive, and it is very easy to read and very bright even in sunny conditions. No complaints at all. Again, nothing in the Peregrine TX warrants the $300 extra at all.

I am the first who will be eager to spend more money for something that is actually worth it and is useful but this is 300 freaking dollars for nothing important for the average recreational diver.

For $300 more, I'd spend it on the Ratio or the HUD that offer a lot more than the $300 in value and features.
There we go - I knew you'd eventually work the Ratio in...

The Op specifically stated interest in the Pergrine but wanted AI and did not realize a Peregrine TX had just launched, so... i'd imagine the cost is not a problem.

i just checked out the Luna 2 as I was not familiar with. In my opinion, the display is low quality: black and white, partially dot- matrix with what looks like pretty lame side/backlighting with no ability to customize display fields - it is a vastly inferior display to the Peregrine's customizable, full color display with adjustable brightness (not lower quality side lighting like I saw in videos of the Luna 2).

The Luna 2 also does not have a compass while the Peregrine TX has a 3 axis tilt compensated compass.

You also get stellar customer service from Shearwater in NA if you ever do have a problem.

I'm sure the Luna 2 can do the job, but I'd absolutely pay the extra $255 for the Peregrine TX/Transmitter combo ($1000) vs the Luna 2 ($430) + transmitter ($315). The Op can also decide what they want to spend.

It is not what you asked originally as you wanted AI

But I just wanted to mention that for recreational diving you can buy any old and used puck-style computer (for a fraction of the cost) that has nitrox and it will cover all your needs

Simple, indestructible, cheap, and you don't care if its lost or damaged accidentally.

I used mine (cressi leonardo) for 10+ years of recreational diving and never needed anything else. I even kept it for my entire cave technical training as it was done in shallow caves so there wasn't any need to upgrade.

There we go - I knew you'd eventually work the Ratio in...

Humm, is that a bad thing to point out to new divers wider and better options or should one just shake their head and go with the crowds? Are you saying that doesn't happen here on SB? Isn't this the whole point of SB, broaden the horizon for people with less experience?

Now, do you actually have anything of value to say against the Ratio vs. the overpriced Peregrine? Can't you discuss the actual merits and pros and cons instead of such cheap shots?

i just checked out the Luna 2 as I was not familiar with. In my opinion, the display is low quality: black and white, partially dot- matrix with what looks like pretty lame side/backlighting

You used it yourself??

i just checked out the Luna 2 as I was not familiar with. In my opinion, the display is low quality: black and white, partially dot- matrix with what looks like pretty lame side/backlighting with no ability to customize display fields - it is a vastly inferior display to the Peregrine's customizable, full color display with adjustable brightness (not lower quality side lighting like I saw in videos of the Luna 2).

The Luna 2 also does not have a compass while the Peregrine TX has a 3 axis tilt compensated compass.

You also get stellar customer service from Shearwater in NA if you ever do have a problem.

I'm sure the Luna 2 can do the job, but I'd absolutely pay the extra $255 for the Peregrine TX/Transmitter combo ($1000) vs the Luna 2 ($430) + transmitter ($315). The Op can also decide what they want to spend.

The Ratio is still SUPERIOR to what you are describing in its entirety at a lower cost and future proofness.

Humm, is that a bad thing to point out to new divers wider and better options or should one just shake their head and go with the crowds? Are you saying that doesn't happen here on SB? Isn't this the whole point of SB, broaden the horizon for people with less experience?

Now, do you actually have anything of value to say against the Ratio vs. the overpriced Peregrine? Can't you discuss the actual merits and pros and cons instead of such cheap shots?

You used it yourself??

The Ratio is still SUPERIOR to what you are describing in its entirety at a lower cost and future proofness.

"bragging rights"..? "herd mentality"..? "cult"..? "cheap shots..?"

Wow.

I mean, it's fine if you like the Luna or whatever, but please just consider the fact that a lot of us like Shearwater products because of the reliability, the display, the build, the features, etc... And customer support is important even if the computer doesn't break. Sometimes just being able to talk to the company will help if you don't understand something. Shearwater goes to great lengths to help educate divers, releasing video and other materials, etc...

It's just a good company and a lot of us like it. Nothing to do with bragging rights. I don't care what anyone else is diving, and I assume that no one cares what I'm using.

Yeah, $300 isn't chump change. But it's diving. If someone posted that they were going to spend a few thousand bucks for a week long dive trip, I doubt anyone would berate them for the cost...

This is the problem with the "cultist" thinking here. One criticizes one aspect of a sacred cow product and all hell gets loose. I wasn't saying in anyway that SW makes bad products or that their customer service is bad or that they are inferior. I was commenting that one product is unjustifiably way too expensive and there is another product from another vendor with all the features the OP needs at a MUCH less price. A less expensive and more appropriate product.
Oh, sorry. I got confused. There for a minute I thought I got caught in a D6 vs SP debate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom