Recommendation for dive classes in Fort Lauderdale?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

954 Tiger

New
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good dive instructor/dive class in the Fort Lauderdale area? and would it be better to try a discover diving /resort type class first or just go into a real OW class right away? I've never been diving but I've always wanted to. Now that I live in South Florida I have no excuse not to learn!

Thanks in advance

Welcome to SB.

If you'll post on the Florida forum, you'll get more answers.

Just start out with the OW class, and you'll be in good shape

954 Tiger:
Can anyone recommend a good dive instructor/dive class in the Fort Lauderdale area? and would it be better to try a discover diving /resort type class first or just go into a real OW class right away? I've never been diving but I've always wanted to. Now that I live in South Florida I have no excuse not to learn!

Thanks in advance

I used a very good instructor in Coral Springs for my AOW. My wife used him for her OW & AOW. He does private instruction, but he is very reasonable. Call Paul at Gator Dive School 954-341-8938.

TOM

I'm sure you've seen the recent discussions on the quality (or lack their of) of OW classes. Not trying to start another debate here but if you want a really good OW class a private instructor or a university program will be your best bet. It's going to cost you significantly more than the standard OW class from a dive shop but you get what you pay for. If you aren't sure this is something you want to do, I'd recommend taking a discover scuba class first preferably from the private instructor you've chosen to take OW from.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help. and I do plan on getting thorough instruction, as I'm skeptical of the 2 day OW programs.

We did our Open Water dives in Ft Lauderdale.

We dove w/ Blue Planet Dive shop. They are in Port St. Lucie, but dive w/ boats out of Ft Lauderdale. Their telephone number is (772) 871-9122

If you call, ask for Paul. He was great. Don't know if he does Private instruction, but you could ask him.

John

954 Tiger:
Thanks for the help. and I do plan on getting thorough instruction, as I'm skeptical of the 2 day OW programs.

The two day course is just one of the most egregious examples. My mother took a standard course over several weeks from a PADI 5 Star IDC (instructor development center or something). Probably the same amount of hours as the 2 day course, just more spread out. I remember when I first took her to the lake after she got her card, she was terrified. We had to take it very slow. It must have been 10 dives before she was able to stop descending butt first.

Even with my help and encouragement, she dropped out of diving within a year.

If your in Fort Lauderdale then your first place to look has to be Pro dive USA they are one of the top dive centres in the world. I was over in Florida in september and did my open water class with them and they were fantastic. They're equipment is all new and very good condition and the instructors are all very good and patient. There were five people in my class and we had two instructors Mark and Greg so you got lots of individual attention.
But I also agree that the open water classes don't teach you enough so I would advise sitting your advanced aswell to build up some more experience or dive with a divemaster or more experienced buddy for a few dives to build confidence.
Hope you enjoy your course as much as I did and get the diving bug. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom