recommendations for 1st uw video setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
What's wrong with using miniDV tapes?

I agree. I have been using standard TDK MiniDV tapes in my HD camcorder and I can't tell the difference, and I still don't get dropouts when capturing.

PerroneFord:
What's wrong with using miniDV tapes?
DaFireMedic:
I agree. I have been using standard TDK MiniDV tapes in my HD camcorder and I can't tell the difference, and I still don't get dropouts when capturing.
Not a thing, never said there was.

I was just kidding WL that he hasn't seen the end of the expensive options since HDV tapes are over $10 ea.

I also use the standard Sony DVC miniDV tapes in my HDR-HC1. I've bought several HDV tapes and a couple of the DVC "Excellence" tapes, if there's a difference I can't see it.

sjspeck:
I was just kidding WL that he hasn't seen the end of the expensive options since HDV tapes are over $10 ea.

Is there an end?? :D

I must admit that I am cheap. I bought a used Hypertech housing on Ebay and am converting the mechanical controls to use the camera that I already have. Total cost so far has been about $85 and I am almost done. I have only used it in the pool so far, but the controls seem to be coming along. I am only going this route because it allows me to get my feet wet (he he he) while seeing if I enjoy underwater video. Eventually, I will invest in a more serious housing if I find that I enjoy it.

Benefits:
Low cost
watertight and rated to 250' fsw
Allows me to try underwater videography without a huge initial investment
Larger size seems very stable underwater

Negatives:
A bit larger and heavier than new housings made for the HV20
No "flip" filter capability
About 7 hours of work so far fitting camera and converting controls

I still see many older Ikelite housings on Ebay going for between $40 and $100. Just another option for someone who is not sure that they are ready to take the plunge (he he he).

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet, DIY housings are an option. If you have the notion and moderate capabilities check out the Do it Yourself section on SB. Expand the post dates to the last year and you will find all sorts of information. I helped my brother make one - total time was probably under two hours with fine tuning, less than $50 in materials w/o camera. It is very basic with no controls - turn it on, seal it up and off you go. Not quite professional level results by any means, but I must say that the quality of the footage is much better than I expected.

Thanks to everyone for the information. It really is very helpful.

I have looked at a couple of the DIY housing kits, and haven't ruled them out. They're simple; basically turn on camcorder, seal it, and shoot the entire dive. Editing is post-dive.

I've looked at several models in various price ranges, and am still not close to deciding....sigh. I'll continue to research.

Thanks again for all the help, the responses from experienced videographers are priceless.

DiverKKC,

Feel the life being sucked out of you as you embark on this new sub-hobby?:confused:

Recently been there...here's my story:

1. Did massive research on sites like this one, Wetpixel, VideoUniversity, DigitalDiver.net, and all the manufacturer sites (housing/camera).

2. Set your criteria. I wanted something reasonably priced (used), proven, and a keeper if I decided to continue to shoot video. Right now, I have no plans to edit, just lay a CD over the tape and file it away for later (and break it out at parties and bask in glory while non-divers look at my crap video with amazement...:D) The editing will come later--there will be much wailing and knashing of teeth when that happens:11:. Right now, I'm in no hurry (I'll never make a penny selling pics/video and have no desire to do so).

3. Get lucky. It's all about the timing. I got a fabulous Gates Diego housing (including standard/wide-angle ports, internal red flip filter and "wet warning" electronics:wink:) and a couple Sony TVR-900 cameras for about $2k, including the repair of one of them. Granted, Gates doesn't make the housing anymore, but they still service them for $290 and put a 2-year warranty on them (not needed, if you ask me--those things are bullet/idiot proof:14:) The cameras still go on eBay for $600-1,000 and can be professionally repaired for under $300.

Old, but gold.

YMMV, but suits my needs perfectly (see criteria). I've shot about 11 hours of video underwater so far (in Florida and Okinawa, some of it half-way decent) and plan on shooting a LOT more before/if I decide to upgrade and invest in something else. If my criteria changes.

Good luck in your quest!
Rick

DiverKKC:
Thanks to everyone for the information. It really is very helpful.

I have looked at a couple of the DIY housing kits, and haven't ruled them out. They're simple; basically turn on camcorder, seal it, and shoot the entire dive. Editing is post-dive.

I've looked at several models in various price ranges, and am still not close to deciding....sigh. I'll continue to research.

Thanks again for all the help, the responses from experienced videographers are priceless.

I am a beginner too in the underwater videography world. My investment was a Sony DCR-HC96 MiniDV Camcorder and a Ikelite housing. Purchased both new online for a total invest of $1,200 bucks. I am staying away from the HD equipment now until the experts have better results. :mooner:

http://www.adorama.com/

Trwmodela:
I am staying away from the HD equipment now until the experts have better results.

The real experts are having great results with HD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom