recommendations for 1st uw video setup...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll add my 2cents.

1st a few questions.

Do you own an HDTV ? Do you own a powerful computer ? Do your friends and family have HDTV ? Do they live close ?

If you answered yes to most of these questions, then get an HD camcorder. You can start with a Canon Ikelite combo for around $1600.

If you answered no to most of these questions, get a SD camcorder and housing either new or used, but don't spend more than $1200 total.

Trwmodela:
I am a beginner too in the underwater videography world. My investment was a Sony DCR-HC96 MiniDV Camcorder and a Ikelite housing. Purchased both new online for a total invest of $1,200 bucks. I am staying away from the HD equipment now until the experts have better results. :mooner:

http://www.adorama.com/

Actually, even the amateurs are getting great results with HD.

But as far as SD goes, the HC96 is a great camcorder that can produce beautiful images. Its still the videographer, not the camera that will produce great results and I doubt that you'd be any happier with HD. As RonScuba said, unless you are really using the mediums by which to view HD video, SD is probably the way to go, especially when starting out. I'm only using HD because I had the camcorder before I decided to use it underwater.

Check out www.shellicam.com Very basic, and starting at $200.00 My wife and I have been working on this project for many years trying to break the $200.00 barrier. Since you arent afraid of just taping everything and spending a little time editing it later, this unit might be ideal. Check out some of the videos on the sight too. They were shot raw, no color correction, no lighting, except for the manta rays, and at depths from 1'-60'. Hope this helps.

Guess it's time for me to get in on this. There's really some helpful info on here----most of it leading to cleaning out my deep pockets. My wife says I have to go from stills to video. God I love that woman.

Anyhow, I'm paying a lot of attention here, but--------what do you guys consider an adequate computer system to do the editing work? I know I've got to add more memory, but that's just basic knowledge. What's the rest of it.

I'll be a lurkin.

Barry

My editing machine at work is a dual processor machine that's about 3 years old. It has 4gb of Ram, a decent monitor, 320GB of ram on the video disk, and I just added a 500GB external drive.

Video is disk intensive. Rendering is processor intensive. Viewing the edits and effects in real time is memory intensive. Buy accordingly.

Disk space is cheap (relatively). Memory can be added later. But buy the fastest processors you can afford.

I am probably going to buy a machine at home so I can finish my documentary. I'll try to get multi-proc, and a LOT of memory. I am going to get a tower so I can add disks over time. It'll have multiple firewire and USB connections. This is what is important to me.

(Maybe I need to look at the requirements for RedOne. :) )

Hi Jeff,

I just read your reply to DiverKKC regarding video equipment and would like to ask you some questions, if you don't mind. I see that you have recommended the Sony HC7 HD canera and the Amphibico EVO Dive Buddy HD Elite Housing with HID Lights. My primary question concerns why you favor the Amphibico housing over the Sony housing. Also, I would appreciate any comments you might care to make regarding editing software, such as Apple's i-movie. I have had a fair amount of u/w video experience and editing, using Sony cameras, Light and Motion housings and Adobe Premier editing software. What I would like to do is upgrade all of my equipment to HD and, hopefully, escape the pain of using Adobe's editing software. So any comments you might care to make would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

ScubaLewis (to respond, please use my direct email address: lewisa@hughes.net

scubalewis:
Hi Jeff,

I just read your reply to DiverKKC regarding video equipment and would like to ask you some questions, if you don't mind. I see that you have recommended the Sony HC7 HD canera and the Amphibico EVO Dive Buddy HD Elite Housing with HID Lights. My primary question concerns why you favor the Amphibico housing over the Sony housing. Also, I would appreciate any comments you might care to make regarding editing software, such as Apple's i-movie. I have had a fair amount of u/w video experience and editing, using Sony cameras, Light and Motion housings and Adobe Premier editing software. What I would like to do is upgrade all of my equipment to HD and, hopefully, escape the pain of using Adobe's editing software. So any comments you might care to make would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

ScubaLewis (to respond, please use my direct email address: lewisa@hughes.net

If you don't mind, can you be more specific to what Sony housing do you refer to?

I don't have a model number for the Sony housing. I saw one of them in Wakatobi, Indonesia last year and, according to the owner, he had had very good luck with it. All I can tell you is that was a bright yellow housing and was being used with a Sony HD video camera.

ScuaLewis

I thought the Sony Sports Pack u/w housings are good only to 5m/ 17ft?

I thought the Sony Sports Pack u/w housings are good only to 5m/ 17ft?
They are, it was probably an old Marine Pack. There's several models good to 75M - maybe deeper. I don't think one was ever made for the HDR series cameras although I think someone here has retrofitted one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom