Recommendations for Loose Boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boat_kid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,

I am a newer diver (48 dives at time of this post). I have some basic Aqualung 3mm boots. My feet are narrow and long. The boots fit well in length, but they feel too wide on my feet. The width causes them to not fit snugly, so they tend to move around quite a bit. They also fill with water during a dive. I assume this is normal, but unlike a wetsuit where a small amount of water is held tightly inside the wetsuit, these boots fill with water and end up fitting very loosely (although my toes are still lightly brushing the tip of the boot). When I exit the water after a dive, the boots are full of water and flop around a lot.

Is this normal? Are there any boots that are better suited to people with narrow feet? I have seen some boots with laces. Any thoughts on these to get a more snug fit? I saw some posts about people drilling holes in boots to allow them to drain. Is this a good idea?

Any insight on this would be very much appreciated!

Well, my problem is that my feet are too wide for many booties.So far, the only satisfactory solution is to go to my LDS and try every model which is supposed to be fitting my shoe size. Dimensions given by the various manufacturers on their websites are far from exact, so trying IRL is the only way for me. I'm afraid you'll be compelled to do the same.

There are lots of different make/model of neoprene booties on the market, you will have to try some on to find a fit that works for you.

I would recommend expanding your search to kayaking and fishing gear stores and websites as well, since there are brands that cater to those sports that can be repurposed for diving.

Probably the quickest solution would be to purchase a pair of neoprene socks in 1mm to 2mm thickness and wear them under your booties to take up the excess space. I have done that to get a bit more thermal protection when diving in water on the fridgid side of the thermometer but not cold enough to transition to my drysuit.

Yes, booties fill with water....how much, as you have experienced, is related to the amount of excess space there is around your foot/leg.

I have drilled holes in the bottom of a set of fins to reduce the stiction and make them easier to get on and off, I suppose it would also work with booties too, just realize, depending on your walk to the water, a hole in your booties can cause other issues by allowing sand or pepples to enter.

-Z

You can tuck the tops of the booties under the cuff of a wetsuit. Fin keepers might also work to tighten up the fit.

Since you are only using 3mm booties, I'm going to guess that you aren't diving in very cold water. This means you have another option. Use 1-2mm neoprene socks under regular sneakers.

For example, Chuck Taylors high tops are classic dive sneakers because they are canvas (leather would get ruined) and have flat bottoms which work well with fins. They are usually worn with drysuit socks, but it's not a requirement.

For example:

Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate the help!

I would try some kind of socks, having another layer can also help prevent blisters.

Be careful of booties with laces or other stuff on top, especially thinner ones. Like booties meant for other watersports, including watershoes. They can be in the way or press into your feet when stuffed into fins.

If you're on budget, cheap lycra socks would also help. They're thinner than neoprene and for me, make my booties more snug (the max for me). Your booties sound a little too loose. Did you try a size down, or try other brands?

Back
Top Bottom