Recommendations for Puerto Galera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sabang isn't that bad in my opinion.
There is the main area that gets busy, a bit loud and a bit of sleaze. However, I actually found it tamer than expectations based on what I read on the internets. Most of the rowdy, bawdy stuff probably remains in the few bars/clubs that cater to that I guess. In addition, the energy dissipates rapidly as you walk toward Small/Big Laguna. I have always stayed in Small Laguna which is about a 5-10min walk into Sabang, and it is plenty relaxed.
There are restaurants, massage, a decent coffee shop, vendors, etc. in Sabang, so it is not without its merits.

Diving in the area is good as well, but 2 weeks might be a bit much unless you come up with some other activities to mix it up.

Most interesting so far, and pretty much agrees with what I have found on my own. A lot of people are urging me to go farther afield, saying that 2 weeks is too long in PG all by itself. The trouble is that we tend to travel gear heavy, and schlepping all that stuff through local airlines does not appeal to me much. (I had enough of that when we visited Providencia in the western caribbean!) I like flying it all in on major airlines and then simple ground or ferry travel from there. PG fits the bill nicely for this, as did Anilao. Also, I am trying to keep costs down to some extent, although we paid surprisingly little for Eagle Point in Anilao, and got superb accommodations and board along with fantastic diving and service. Anything like that in PG? Any favorite operations/resorts (and why)? Also, I notice that there are at least a couple of Phillippine travel agencies that hawk deals in this area with various places. Is this worth checking out, or am I better off going right to the resort and dealing with them? One more thing- is it worth getting the all inclusive option at the resort (I would want breakfast included in any deal I make) or is it like Cozumel where you are usually better off (and cheaper!) to just walk down the road to any of a bunch of restaurants and take your pick? Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are the best source of non-biased information I currently have, and all input is eagerly sought. Keep it coming people, and many thanks for your help. Woody
P.S. If any of you guys would like to come along on this odyssey when it firms up, send me a PM and we will see what we can do.

I really can't say I've found any benefit in resorts in PG. There really aren't any on White Beach and it seems in Sabang 'resort' just means 'we have rooms and a dive shop.'

You find a room for $20-$30 per night. Your dives are going to be about $25 each unless you get a package from a dive shop. I believe Octopus diver gives you 3 dives for 2600 P which is like $60. Gulli dive shop on White Beach recently changed owners but before the change they were offering 10 dive packages for 10000p which is $22 each.

On White Beach local restaurants you can get breakfast for 3 or 4 dollars, in Sabang you can get a decent meal for 6 or 7 dollars.

You'd have to find a hell of a deal in a resort to beat what you can get on your own.

And yeah, the deal websites like cashcashpinoy and metrodeal do offer some decent packages. Usually you could find something for a similar price but they make it easy by doing the work for you. I say that with caution though, because I've seen deals on websites like that for hotels and resorts and then found it was cheaper to book directly with them. Hit or miss.

1. DIY. Cut out the agent or you can compare with the price.
2. Most resorts only offer bed and breakfast.
3. Many of them have a small fridge in the room so you can also prepare your own snack/breakfast.
4. Choose dive operator with more than couple of boats so you are more flexible with the schedule eg. Atlantis, Asia Divers and La Laguna Beach Club.
5. However, smaller operators such as Frontier, Sea Rider and South Sea probably can offer better personal services. "Sky" the Yankee boss at South Sea has been in PG for umpteen yrs.
6. There are so many old posts on Puerto Galera for you to digest.
7. If you want a quiet place with good sea view then Campbell is my suggestion. It is situated at the extreme end of Big La Laguna. Only three dive operators Scandi-divers, La Laguna Beach Club and Diving Park(Korean) to choose. Bring a torch if you are going to Sabang at night.
8. I really do not see any logical reason to stay at White Beach and dive PG.
Happy diving.

Only been to PG once and stayed at el galleon. To the 4 of us, it was a homerun. great food off the menu, short boat rides, adequate room, can walk to sabang, 4 dives/day, great value, it certainly met our needs.

I loved Atlantis.

GREAT food and facilities. Wonderful staff. Perfect location. 5 dives a day. Even if only one diver wanted to dive, a boatman and DM would gladly go.

I have spent several months in the Philippines over a few trips, and covered most of the popular and not so popular diving areas. I have been to PG four times, and would strongly recommend it. It is a beautiful place. The longest I have spent there is nine nights or so, which has always seemed about right. Two weeks may well prove too long for a first trip. How about a split trip? Coron is stunning and only a short hop from Manila.. A cheap hop at that. Great wreck diving and the reefs are surprisingly good too. A lot of building going on there, so it will lose a lot of its charm before too long.

In Sabang I would stay at Seashore Beach Resort.. Tucked away at the end of the resort, but only a short walk the main strip and fifteen minutes to Lalaguna etc. Cheap, clean and with pleasant and helpful staff. The 'rowdy' strip is really only a hundred yards long so I wouldn't really be worried about that. Diving-wise would recommend South Sea or Sea Rider. You can pay a lot more for a lot less.

We have stayed countless times with El Galleon in Small La Laguna, and dived at Asia Divers. At $51-62 US per night, El Galleon is not the cheapest but also not the most expensive place in the Sabang area. I liked their willingness last February to meet us at the airport at 1 am, drive us to Batangas and put us on a pumpboat straight to the Asia Divers dock. It cost like $155 US: for the two of us, with our heavy suitcases and jet lag, it was worth every cent. There's a cheaper guest house right next door which Asia Divers could no doubt arrange for you.

Although I have not tried it, Rags II liveaboard is based in Puerto Galera and has a relationship with the Asia Divers folks (and probably with the other major dive shops as well). You could take one of their five-day tours to Apo Reef and Coron; that would round out your two weeks nicely.

For a quiet night and great beach, the recommendation above for Campbell's is well worth considering. I found Small La Laguna quiet enough, but it has no decent beach. Easier to walk from there to the extensive choice of restaurants in both Small La Laguna and Sabang. Definitely do not tie yourself to eating in one place.

For my .02 checkout South Sea Divers. They are one of the oldest and best operators out there. let them know your budget and where you want to stay and they will take care of the rest. Diving with them is laid back and great, its like diving with buddies not a dive factory.

Back
Top Bottom