Recommendations for starter video cam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoPro the company is not shipping a flat port with the housing. Mako is a retail company selling the GoPro, a flat port, filters, etc.. Their main business is selling spearguns. Mako sells the flat port by itself, but if you buy the GoPro from them, they include a flat port for free. I bought my GP1 from them and would buy a GP2 from them if I was in the market.

Your option is definitely worth looking at for those considering the more expensive GoPro flat port solutions. Each of the flat port options from the various retailers has their own pluses and minuses, but in my opinion, the end results of the video footage are basically the same.

I hear ya. An extra $257 is not that much in the big picture of mid level or semi-serious UW video shooting.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm a big fan of my Mako speargun. I'll send anyone I can't talk out of a GoPro to them :D. It's nice that they offer the flat port for no extra charge. Honestly, that's my biggest gripe with GP, that they originally marketed an "underwater camera" that didn't work underwater (but was great for stuff like surfing, water skiing, etc.).

Instead of a GoPro, I'd recommend a Contour camera. The ContourRoam can be had for around $200 (on Amazon currently for $199 including a 16 GB uSD card), add their waterproof housing for $40 and you're good to go. No frills, good quality HD video without blur for little money. I love it.

BTW, nice job on your Vimeo posts Ron. I'll have to sit down later and watch them all.

---------- Post added May 4th, 2012 at 02:45 PM ----------

Instead of a GoPro, I'd recommend a Contour camera. The ContourRoam can be had for around $200 (on Amazon currently for $199 including a 16 GB uSD card), add their waterproof housing for $40 and you're good to go. No frills, good quality HD video without blur for little money. I love it.

Contour Vs GoPro Underwater - YouTube

I like the focus better on the Contour, but I'd be afraid it wouldn't gather enough light at 100+ft Any examples of use in deeper, darker water?

I like the focus better on the Contour, but I'd be afraid it wouldn't gather enough light at 100+ft Any examples of use in deeper, darker water?

I don't have any myself (yet?) but it should be noted that the ContourRoam has a newer (better?) sensor than the Contour HD and is supposed to be more light sensitive. I've only had one chance to take my Roam diving so far, and that was in shallow clear water. Video is here and here (which also shows that mounting it on your mask strap is not a good idea :D)

This is a very informative thread as I am looking to buy a entry level video recorder.
In addition to a camera and housing, what other equipment would a beginner need?
Thanks for all input.

This is a very informative thread as I am looking to buy a entry level video recorder.
In addition to a camera and housing, what other equipment would a beginner need?
Thanks for all input.

It depends on the system. Some will need a handle and/or tray, or, a weight system because they may be positively buoyant (a tray usually solves this problem).

For casual applications you shouldn't bother with lighting, but for serious stuff you'll want video lights, as everything below 30ft or so will be blue, green, or combinations thereof. You can mitigate this by using filters (which I hate, because they decrease the already limited amount of light from reaching the sensor), setting the white-balance every ten feet of depth, or in post production (software). White-balance corrections can only do so much without video lights though.

Editing software is also an important consideration. Macs used to come with a nice built-in program, but I'm not sure if that's currently the case.

It depends on the system. Some will need a handle and/or tray, or, a weight system because they may be positively buoyant (a tray usually solves this problem).

For casual applications you shouldn't bother with lighting, but for serious stuff you'll want video lights, as everything below 30ft or so will be blue, green, or combinations thereof. You can mitigate this by using filters (which I hate, because they decrease the already limited amount of light from reaching the sensor), setting the white-balance every ten feet of depth, or in post production (software). White-balance corrections can only do so much without video lights though.

Editing software is also an important consideration. Macs used to come with a nice built-in program, but I'm not sure if that's currently the case.

This is some video I took a few months ago shooting the GoPro (1) version with a mako flat lens. No filters, no lights, no adjustments of the video in post processing.. just the basic free MS Movie Maker from Windows 7.....

I'm happy with it...

I recently got the GoPro Hero2 and it does seem a little better. I think the GP and the flat lens is freaking great .. In three years we may look back and say it sucks... but for the price,for right now.... this is my coolest dive toy...

By the way, this was shot at 185 feet...

[video=youtube_share;uZJ0byuTVqU]http://youtu.be/uZJ0byuTVqU[/video]

I bought a Gopro hero II for my husband who can't even take video on land successfully and he was able to take great video underwater. I bought him a tray and sola light so that helped with the color!! We were diving five times a day so he had lots of practice and by the middle of the trip his video looked great!! The nice thing was that it is small and he could just clip it to his BC. We bought the backscatter flat port like Robin! Love it and very happy with our purchase!!

This is a good video. I have looked at GO Pro and like the results.
My main concern is after initial purchase, discovering a need for lots more stuff.

No one has mentioned the Intova Sport Pro HD. It is similar in format and size to the GoPro. There is a comparison of the Intova vs GoPro here on SB as well. It's $200 with the housing and no flat lens needed. It uses a standard tripod mount rather than a proprietary one. Reviews have been positive. Check out videos on youtube.

Here it is @ leisurepro:
Intova Sport Pro HD Waterproof Video Digital Camera

I don't have experience with it, but I will purchase it soon based on reviews and videos taken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom