Recommendations for the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as Amy Slate's resort goes, Dont waste your money. The last 2 times I stayed there it was ABSOLUTELY horrible. So bad the last time they actually sent me and my 3 buddies vouchers for the largest room they had on our next trip along with vouchers for a dive trip each. WE THREW THEM ALL AWAY!!!!
Do a search on here for the reviews and you'll see what I mean.

Get in touch with Speargirl, she has the best deal going down there on a nice place to stay. May be able to help you out with dive trips too.

IN Key West go to Subtropic and see Mike. Dive the Cayman! Great reef off the backside of the wreck.

Key West has a lot of history and interesting things to experience aside from booze. Although that is also good. Try Conch Republic and Schooner Wharf for dinner and live music

Conch republic is a great operation.

I also like Quisence (?) and even went out with Island Adventures a small operation very flexible and great people. I would reccomend any of the three as I have had great experiences with all three.

Since we like the convienence we've used It's a Dive in Key Largo and stayed at the Marriott right there. The staff at the shop really works to make sure everyone has a good trip.

Steve

Liked Silent World a lot. Have made two trips with them, last one in April, and hope to get back down in the spring.

I've dove with Conch Republic, Blue Waters, Silent World, and Rainbow Reef divers. IMO there are more good DiveOps in the Keys vs. bad...

Silent world is north, and they do some spots that the others don't (like City of Washington). They maybe the least expensive option. I believe they also can setup accommodations.

Blue Waters is at mile marker 100. They are a small Op, but they have a very comfortable boat, maybe around 30'. They limit the divers to 10 which is not crowded. Brent and Capt. Marvel run a good OP.

Rainbow reef is kinda a Cattle op, but they are cheapish if you need to dive in a pinch. They will do deeper wrecks, but expect two dives on Molasses or French Reef as the norm. They are my last minute DiveOp, and I've done several unplanned trips when I was TRYING to drive out of the Keys, and realized I could hit the reefs that last time. They supply Dive Guides at no charge.

Conch Republic is in Tavernier which is at MM 90, so a bit south of Key Largo. They do some dives like Conch Wall that some of the other ops north generally don't like to go to. Brenda and Gary run a great op, and they have two boats and frequently do the deep wrecks.

Most of these diveOps offer multi day discounts, so you may want to choose one for that reason.

We have stayed at Ocean Pointe ~ very nice Condo's, mid priced at around $150 per night, but they come with amenities one would expect with a condo. Some deals can be had, and I think Brenda or Gary would be the folks to contact for a good price.

Brent set us up one year for a night at the Marina Del Mar. It's on the low side at maybe $75 a night. The rooms are a bit dated, but clean and comfortable. The pool is nice, and this is walking distance to any dive op around MM 100 like Blue Water, and there are a few.

If you are not picky, and want a cheap place to stay, try the Sunset inn in Tavernier. At rooms starting at $50 per night (weekdays), and efficiencies with a kitchen at about $65, this is a bargin. Rooms are dated, but they are clean. The pool is also clean, and well kept. We run into a lot of FL locals when we stay there.

SpearGirl will likely reply to this thread as she manages some condos around Tavernier I believe. I've not used her, but others have, and I believe her prices are good.

The diving in FL is good all over really. You may want to spend a couple days on the east coast anywhere from Jupiter, to Ft. Lauderdale, and do some dives at Jupiter, or Boynton, or Ft. Lauderdale. Those dives tend to be drift, but can be a blast.

Have fun, and good luck.

See my recent trip report (positive recommendations) on Conch Republic
and Becky's condos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...rip-report-key-largo-11-12-07-11-16-07-a.html
The details may give you a warmer feeling about committing sight unseen.

If you're diving for a week, you might want to split time with another dive op
further north so you see more variety. For that, I defer to the other posters.
Becky's condos are at MM 100, so that works for the whole area.

Thanks to everyone for the info - it has been really helpful!

You don't need to go crazy to enjoy Key West...simply watching the sunset with an adult beverage of your choice and also watching those crazy performers on the Sunset Pier is worth it :coffee:

Cheers.

-J.-
He's right, you don't have to go crazy after the diving. Just enjoy the sunset. If you make it to Key West to dive I highly recommend Southpoint Divers. Enjoy:D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom