Recommendations needed -- 10 to 12 days from Hong Kong to Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys,
I don't believe Todd islooking to go solo diving, he is just saying that he is traveling alone, In my own personal experience of traveling alone is that it should be easily possible to buddy Todd up with another diver.
Please support the single traveler/diver a bit more because there are many of them out there, no need to say more.
Enjoy your trip Todd and looking forward to your trip report.

Ah.

Then in that case - no problem at all. In the Philippines almost all operators run guided diving; so if you are alone you can easily buddy up with another diver or a divemaster...in fact thats the best way to ensure you see the coolest stuff, stay close to the locals :)

Thanks for all the replies. It does sound like there is some consensus on visiting Malapascua and Moalboal, so I'll start down that path.

To more fully address the solo question -- I am looking to dive with other divers when possible. But if there was a calm, clear house reef available from shore, I would not mind having the option of hanging out in 20-40' of water if other divers are not available. Obviously not a dealbreaker. I think this trip is going to be without the underwater camera setup, but I'll still prefer to have time to just hover and watch the pretty fishies.

Next round of questions for those with the patience --
A -- given the two locations, is there a recommended order considering I'm flying in/out of Cebu? My Cebu flights have not been arranged, but it looks like I'll be going through Manila, unless I want to fly starting at 1am or so. Any major reason to choose any particular airline from HK to Cebu?
B -- I suspect I will be able to transfer from one location to the other easily within a day. Is this the case?
C -- What are the scubaboard preferred dive shops, accommodations in the two areas? AC needed/preferred that time of year?

Lastly, if anyone else is planning on diving / traveling to these locations at that time, it would be great to meet other scubaboard divers.

Thanks,
Todd

I fly Cebu Pacific Air - It's time everyone flies as it is cheap.

Evolution in Malapascua and Magic Island on Moalboal are one stop shops, dive ops/resorts.

As for AC, that is really up to you, re you the type to be bale to put up with just a ceiling fan? I like my AC. :)

Airphilexpress have new airline from HK-Cebu in the morning with low fare. Airphil Express - Philippines Leading Promo Airline to Manila
Cathaypacific is another choice if you don't mind paying 5000HKD roundfare.
Make sure you read the previous reports of the destinations before you decide where to go. You may also consider Anilao near Manila for colourful corals and fishes, which is my favourite in Philippines.

Maybe do the Island first..

Cebu City to Malapascua Island (3 hours, leave early), Malapascua Island to MoalBoal (hmm maybe 6-7 hours by land) and MoalBoal to Cebu City ( 2-3 hours, early daparture with demon driver) for the flight back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom