Recommended reel for cavern class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert H. Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Title says it. What’s your preferred reel for cavern class? Will be doing it in sidemount.

I used a dive rite classic reel and then latter bought a couple slide lock styles , any reel like that would probably work. I was horrible at it no matter what reel was in my hand lol
I like the idea of the slide lock style. Yea I’m sure I won’t be great with it, I want to get one and practice with it this year and next before taking the class.

Halcyon or Lightmonkey.

The DiveRite “classic” reels are hot trash.

We'll have to agree to agree but also disagree on that. I like the classic reels for teaching because what is easy to rats nest is also easy to remove the rats nest and it really forces new divers to be really cognizant about their line tension. With #36 line I much prefer mine for long runs than a sidewinder which don't really love. Pros and cons.

for @Robert H. Diver what I would recommend for your cavern class though is that you ask your instructor if they have both "styles" of reel and if you can use theirs to try before you buy. All of the good instructors will have a Dive Rite Classic or similar top handle "loose" style reel and a Sidewinder type reel from one of the manufacturers. The good ones will have no problem letting you use their reels for cavern class so you can learn the pros and cons of each style and make your own decision prior to buying one.

We'll have to agree to agree but also disagree on that. I like the classic reels for teaching because what is easy to rats nest is also easy to remove the rats nest and it really forces new divers to be really cognizant about their line tension. With #36 line I much prefer mine for long runs than a sidewinder which don't really love. Pros and cons.

for @Robert H. Diver what I would recommend for your cavern class though is that you ask your instructor if they have both "styles" of reel and if you can use theirs to try before you buy. All of the good instructors will have a Dive Rite Classic or similar top handle "loose" style reel and a Sidewinder type reel from one of the manufacturers. The good ones will have no problem letting you use their reels for cavern class so you can learn the pros and cons of each style and make your own decision prior to buying one.
Thank you. I’ll see what they have to say.

Unless you know you are going to go straight into cave, Dive Rite classic. They are cheap.

That being said, if you are planning to go straight into cave after cavern, then spend the coin on a nicer reel.

I'll second the idea of trying / being shown the different styles to determine what works best for you now. Also, someone right there in front of you explaining the goods and bads of each.... Makes life a bit easier.

Agree with AJ. Halcyon or LM 400ft reel. Halcyon is of better quality than the LM in my opinion. I also agree with dr classic reels being trash. The spool warps, tolerances suck, and it's generally uncomfortable. I like nothing about them. Some people like tbone like them and have their reasons. In my hands classic reels are crap and I don't think they're an ideal solution for a new cave diver. The best part about the LM or Halcyon is if you get out of the sport or don't like it they're easy to sell and recoup your investment. So many of us think the classics are such trash that you'll definitely lose alot more.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom