Recommended reel for cavern class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you know you are going to go straight into cave, Dive Rite classic. They are cheap.

That being said, if you are planning to go straight into cave after cavern, then spend the coin on a nicer reel.

I won’t be going straight to cave immediately after…but that’s the plan down the road…so I don’t mind spending money on quality gear that I will use.

Agree with AJ. Halcyon or LM 400ft reel. Halcyon is of better quality than the LM in my opinion. I also agree with dr classic reels being trash. The spool warps, tolerances suck, and it's generally uncomfortable. I like nothing about them. Some people like tbone like them and have their reasons. In my hands classic reels are crap and I don't think they're an ideal solution for a new cave diver. The best part about the LM or Halcyon is if you get out of the sport or don't like it they're easy to sell and recoup your investment. So many of us think the classics are such trash that you'll definitely lose alot more.
Any opinion on the Diverite slide lock reels?

Agree with AJ. Halcyon or LM 400ft reel. Halcyon is of better quality than the LM in my opinion. I also agree with dr classic reels being trash. The spool warps, tolerances suck, and it's generally uncomfortable. I like nothing about them. Some people like tbone like them and have their reasons. In my hands classic reels are crap and I don't think they're an ideal solution for a new cave diver. The best part about the LM or Halcyon is if you get out of the sport or don't like it they're easy to sell and recoup your investment. So many of us think the classics are such trash that you'll definitely lose alot more.
I’ve used both Halcyon and LM. Other than Halcyon having an aluminum handle bracket I can’t tell any difference, especially quality wise.

Hello,

I am using this reel. Much smaller with more line than the mentioned ones.

Best wishes Jens

Okay,........... but how do you really feel about it?
SUPERHOT trash!

Dumb handle makes it hard to impossible to use with a Goodman handle.

It comes with a metal to metal connection for the bolt snap.

The material of the spool is doggydoodoo.

The lockdown protrudes weirdly and doesn’t always lock.

YUGE gap between the spool and frame.

Its ugly.

If you do have to take it apart, the little circlip is for sure going to get lost.

Also, it’s ugly AF.

Not a cave diver but use it in wrecks - I really do not like the slide lock. Maybe mine is too small, I probably could not use it comfortably with 3mm gloves - it just seems small in my hand when winding it. It seems hard for me to get the slide lock locked sometimes and that is what worries me about entanglement. I am not 100% sure what size it is, I think it's 250', the spool is 3" across - there are bigger ones.

I have a Manta that I like but I think others have issues with them.

I will use a reel more for a SMB verses running line as that's the diving I do

I like them. I grew to despise the lock screw on the DR Classic reels when reeling myself up on a DSMB last summer. I use a 250ft slide lock for my cave primary reel. Have a 140ft one on the way for use with a DSMB for my CCR class. Love that I can just flick the slide lock with my thumb and be done. I once backed out the lock screw on a Classic. 🤦‍♀️

Too easy to rat’s nest the Classic. Did it really bad once during my intro class. 🤣😂

So for argument sake, which one would you get between these two? I will not be buying one or the other based on what I hear here, but will definitely take everything into consideration.

So for argument sake, which one would you get between these two? I will not be buying one or the other based on what I hear here, but will definitely take everything into consideration.

Neither. You want something in the 400’ range for what you’re doing…then it’s the LM.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom