Recommended reel for cavern class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a cavern class I would let them borrow a reel. I've got two sidewinder style reels and one L style reel that they can use.

For any cave class, I want them to have a reel but I also send a document that gives a pretty explicit list of equipment and make intro to tech programs a pre-req for cave classes.

And Mexico (and maybe France?) might be a good reason for getting a 400' reel eventually, but I'll throw another point out - first few times someone goes vacation cave diving in Mexico they should probably hire a guide. I'd hope the guide has a 400' reel to use.
Probably should hire a guide is correct, but I would argue the majority don't.
France you don't need one as almost every line is tied to a tree above water

I have run out of line several times in Mexico on a 200ft reel. I used to only take the 200. Now I always take the 400
I have too, well actually only once, then I bought a 400ft reel. It was embarrassing to run out of line on the way to the mainline. I had to tie off and use a spare jump spool to get the last 25 ft or so. My buddy had a good chuckle.

I don't regret having both; the 200 ft reel makes a killer jump reel on some of the longer jumps in MX.

Anyhow, back to the 'which reel' discussion, I'd get a LM, you might even find one used. There are probably some cooler new reels around that are even better, but those work fine and they're not too expensive.

Why would you need 400 ft reel for cavern or cave diving i only carry spools and jump reel in a cave. Use a primary with 250 to tie into gold line and that is very rare occasions I need something with that much line
It depends where you dive; in Mexico, where I usually dive, there are some caves where the mainline is more than 200 ft from OW. Not many, but enough. The cost and size difference between a 200ft and 400ft LM reel is not much, TBH.

What about DTD reels? Any comments on their quality?

They are much cheaper than LM and Halcyon (especially given the current exchange rate)

The only primary reel I ever needed was a Halcyon 400 for all cave, wreck, and open water diving. I've used the same reel for 20 years now with about 375 feet of line.

My first NACD instructor for cavern didn't care what primary my buddy and I had as long as we had one. We used our Halcyon 400s. The first thing we learned is that we won't need 400 feet of line.

As a cavern diver you want the best reel money can buy. So here is my pick. It's priced well so if you lose it or if it falls into an opening, you can just buy another one.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 37
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom