Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Either (for everyone)

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Either but pregnant woman left side down

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The recovery position also allows for mantainence of a patent airway without an adjunct of some type (NPA, OPA, or other airway device),in addition to allowing vomit to drain out of the mouth and prevent aspiration.

I was trained to use the left side for the recovery position in most cases (except trauma, which has different guidelines) involving poisoning, eclampsia, loss of conciousness, etc.

oh...yes, I thought it was arterial side of the heart down......

the physics make sense to me....would be hard to study and "prove" wouldn't it?

I teach my EMT students the left side (except trauma's, in which case it is to the least injured side). This does help quite a bit when you get the pt into the bus so that you have accesss to the pt, as well as for the physiological aspects that have already been mentioned.

Left side-lying is preferred because the heart pumps to the aorta toward the left (and therefore downward with gravity when lying down on left side). Putting a victim on right would make the heart pump against gravity and therefore uphill. Assuming that something may be wrong medically with the victim, and barring other trauma, such as spinal or left chest wall trauma without symptoms of cardiac distress. Place the victim on the left side rather than on the right side. Consider obstacles and over-all patient and team safety.
Very important in cases of ingestion, airway obstruction, drowning and siezures and other altered mental status scenes. Good luck!

OutsideJay~

Aeioutips: Medical Response to someone altered. Jay Gosuico Ski Patrol Roz - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom