Recreational Dive Planners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemed06 once bubbled...
Do the various recreational agencies (ie. PADI, NAUI, SSI etc) have their own dive tables (I don't meen design and presentation but rather the numbers)? If so, which is more conservative? Thanks

When I took SSI OW back in 1988, we were using the US Navy Tables, since then, PADI came out with new tables based on some Doppler work.

Since I still run into divers using the Navy tables, I figured I'd better ask.

Even though Recreational Dive Planner is a PADI trademark, some may use the term in a generic way.

Compared to the Navy tables, PADI tables seem to give you a little less time on the first dive and a little more on the second.

Jonathan once bubbled...
check out the post date from tal and the number of posts he made.......

Don't reckon you'll get an answer unless he is still lurking

:nolurk:

I see what you mean.

It will be like trying to read by the light of Haley's Comet. :)

Lets be honest though, it must be a tiny proportion of people that actually still bother with tables for recreational diving.

The computers allow so much longer dives that everyone I know totally ignores the tables. Not through being gung-ho, but simply because you are off the table after your first dive, and then further off on subsequent dives. The tables can't help you, a wheel would be of some help, but not much.

Certainly not trolling!!!!

Been diving for years, and never seen anyone other than OW students and Techies/nitroxers using tables. Most dive operators here (SE Asia) won't let you dive without a computer, but don't bother getting the tables out (if they even have them).

but I do not like implication that you don't need to know unless you are going into tech diving.

Every diver should be able to use a set of tables. Come on it's not that hard! My wife is doing her o/w at the moment and she got it pretty quickly and that is when I'm explaining it in English and she is Japanese - it was late and she was tired which means her English comprehension goes right down the pan....

Jonathan

MacHeath once bubbled...
Lets be honest though, it must be a tiny proportion of people that actually still bother with tables for recreational diving.

The computers allow so much longer dives that everyone I know totally ignores the tables. Not through being gung-ho, but simply because you are off the table after your first dive, and then further off on subsequent dives. The tables can't help you, a wheel would be of some help, but not much.

That isn't the pattern around here.

While there are some who put blind faith in the computers, most at least check the profile against the tables for reasonableness.

I can do a reasonableness check of a computer against the Navy tables in my head, so it isn't all that hard. I suspect many others can do it too.

This thread brings up a question I really don’t want to ask….How many divers out there do not know their tables or at least the max depths memorized in your brain (even if there just USN)????
Computers fail....I have had 2 go on me in the middle of dives, and another fail while on a diving vacation (many repetitive dives) If you don't know your tables your really not prepared for an emergency let alone just a broken dive pc. Technology fails folks and you have to know the basics if it does....

:amazed:

DivemasterBob once bubbled...
This thread brings up a question I really don’t want to ask….How many divers out there do not know there tables or at least the max depths memorized in your brain (even if there just USN)????
Computers fail....I have had 2 go on me in the middle of dives, and another fail while on a diving vacation (many repetitive dives) If you don't know your tables your really not prepared for an emergency let alone just a broken dive pc. Technology fails folks and you have to know the basics if it does....

:amazed:

I know my tables! I have one in the Living room, One in the dining room, one in my bedroom. What I can't understand is.. Why would someone take tables diving with them???
:confused:

I know my tables! I have one in the Living room, One in the dining room, one in my bedroom. What I can't understand is.. Why would someone take tables diving with them???

You need a place to put your dive bag.......

Back
Top Bottom