Recreational Dive Planners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I often check my tables against my computer..but it's only for curiousity. After my dive, my tables often show that I totally overstepped my NDL limits and incurred some serious deco time, even though, of course, that's not true. So it's really pretty pointless to do that.

Yeah, I often forget my dive table's info, but what I do is keep them in my log book as I do with my C-card, which goes with me to every dive site. Then just before the dive, I pull them out to refresh my memory so the NDL's for that specific dive are fresh in my head for me to fall back on....probably the short term memory loss from all my college partying days. :)
Not too long ago, my wife's computer tanked right as we started to descend on a dive. Because I had reviewed my tables for the depth we planned on diving shortly before the dive, we were able to switch over to tables and continue the dive without missing a beat.

One other thing I like is my dive watch. It has an analog (I guess that's what you call it) max depth guage, a dive timer bezel and the max NDL for the the depth (in 10' increments) printed on the wristband. This will allow me to continue a dive if my computer goes out during a dive, provided I haven't already exceeded the table's NDLs. It complements my computer rather nicely, I think.

I've always thought I should memorize my complete tables, but between my busy life, my own laziness and my short term memory loss :wink: , I haven't yet done that.
These things I do that I described above, help to fend off the brain rot that computers can inflict.

Zagnut once bubbled...
I often check my tables against my computer..but it's only for curiousity. After my dive, my tables often show that I totally overstepped my NDL limits and incurred some serious deco time, even though, of course, that's not true. So it's really pretty pointless to do that.

Well, you know what you did and should know how the computer would come up with more time. If the extra time doesn't make sense when you consider the time you spent shallow, the computer is suspect.

Zagnut once bubbled...
I've always thought I should memorize my complete tables, but between my busy life, my own laziness and my short term memory loss :wink: , I haven't yet done that.
These things I do that I described above, help to fend off the brain rot that computers can inflict.

The Navy no-stop tables are pretty easy to remember.

There are some points that just seem to go together.

60 minutes at 60 feet 1:1 ratio
100 minutes at 50 feet 2:1 ratio
25 minutes at 100 feet 1:4 ratio

As you get deeper than 60, lose ten minutes for each ten feet.

50 minutes at 70 feet
40 minutes at 80 feet
30 minutes at 90 feet

Now we are at 100 feet, which you know is 25 minutes. Now lose 5 minutes for each ten feet down to the rec limit.

20 minutes at 110 feet
15 minutes at 120 feet
10 minutes at 130 feet

Shallower than 50 feet, your time doubles to give you 200 minutes at 40 feet.

There is a limit for 35 feet, but who needs to figure for more than 200 minutes in his head? While you're eating lunch, scrounge up a set of tables and find out that you get 310 minutes at 35 feet.

That's pretty good Don, but I never.........

Really though, although remembering would be good, the reality I guess is, that MacHeath is probably about right on this.

I don't know anyone that uses a RDP, LET ALONE THAT DAMNED WHEEL VERSION!!!!

Sorry CAPS lock got switched on.

I use my computer simply because staying with the too rigid table would stunt anyones dive, excessively. It's unwarranted, really.

The only time I haul out a "Table" is when I'm doing my Nitrox calcs. Sure I can do them with a calculator, but the "Best Mix" and EAD are easiest with a Table. Sure, some are memorized.

As far as the Tech thing is concerned, I don't know a tech that wouldn't use a computer. Actually dive software, transfered to a slate, and ONLY then do the computer dive. "Standard" tables just don't exist for Tech dives, unless you dive off of individual tables with a corresponding mix and time, of which they would most likely NOT be the "Best Mix" etc for your specific dive.

If both computers failed during a RDP planned dive???

So what, the dive is over!

Oh yeah, they call it

:wacko: Yugoslavian Deco :) :wacko:

Am using tables as just certified, a good thing to keep up to speed with incase your computer goes bang in the wet lol. But am saving for my own computer as soon as i get the drysuit out of the way, anything that allows me to dive longer i.e a nice shiny dive computer can only be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom