Red Filter for DC1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soooo... What's the final consensus from this thread? :confused:
I'm having the exact same problem, and I'm frustrated to no end after coming back from Belize and from Cozumel where my videos and pictures look rather blue/green and dull :depressed:
How do we get the 1400 to work better? I've considered getting a go pro, but the quality of the camera itself seems horrendous.

---------- Post added August 16th, 2014 at 07:26 PM ----------

Don,
Are those picks on your site really taken with the DC1400?!?!?!?
PLEASE teach us how you're doing it... the pictures are beautiful...
Is it really JUST the white balance adjustment???
I'm assuming you're not doing the "basic" piano key easy setup? Because, I know that's not working...
How are you setting your white balance and choosing the settings? Is that the only thing you're doing?

Thanks, and yes, they were taken with the DC1400... I promise...lol. It's tough for me to say what settings I use since it depends on the picture I'm trying to take. If you ask me about specific examples, I may remember what I did.

As for avoiding blue pictures, if you don't have at least one strobe, I highly recommend it. I use two. IMO, additional lighting is a necessity. Without it, you are relying solely on your white balance, which you can't alter much after the fact since this camera doesn't shoot in RAW. When I'm shooting something and not using the strobes (wider or distant shots, reefscapes, etc), I always try to use manual white balance. However, I still really haven't figured out these types of shots with this camera... At least not as well as I'd like to, and they still typically require some post-production adjustment. For one reason or another, the GoPro's are far better at white balance, but that is about the only advantage to them. If you ARE using strobe(s) and your pictures are still blue, you likely need to get closer or increase the strobe strength.

With any underwater camera, there is a good bit of trial and error involved. If you aren't happy with how your pics look after a dive, try something different. And if you have enough time with one subject, try several things out and compare the results later (looking at review the LCD display can be misleading underwater). I figure out new things and tricks on every dive trip I take... Unfortunately, that makes up only two or maybe three weeks per year, so I sometimes forget what I learned on the last trip... So, I should probably add "take notes" to the suggestion list...lol.

Last edited:
View attachment IMG_5833.jpgIf this inserted correctly you should see my picture of the screen options for white balance on my DC1400. I have highlighted the option for blue water >25 ft. Is this what you all would choose while also having chosen external light (because I am using an external light)?

Thanks in advance.

On the WB screen I have highlighted the option for blue water >25 ft. Is this what you all would choose while also having chosen external light (because I am using an external light)? My pictures have been too blue and I know I need to make some adjustments.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 212436If this inserted correctly you should see my picture of the screen options for white balance on my DC1400. I have highlighted the option for blue water >25 ft. Is this what you all would choose while also having chosen external light (because I am using an external light)?

Thanks in advance.

The photos didn't post properly, for one reason or another. But post some sample photos so we can see exactly what types of shots and how much blue we are talking about.

I'm sorry - I missed the response here for several days. I had only posted a picture of the menu of the DC1400 - not an underwater picture. Trying to verify that I was choosing the correct setting from the menu options. :)

No worries... I was just suggesting you post some sample images you took with it so we can better understand the problem.

anemonePM.jpgPICT0125.jpg
Ok. These are from a recent trip to Cozumel. Someone said that I need to adjust my WB - and it's a bit of a pain that this is often something I'll need to do while in the water, but it is what it is. What helpful hints can you offer? Thanks in advance. Btw, I really love getting the micro pics and I know I'll need really good buoyancy control, but whatever you can offer for that as well would be greatly appreciated. :D

Unfortunately, to be honest, Sealife Cameras just don't offer very good white balance. Using manual white balance helps (which is what I do), and can be done quickly using the hot key (holding down the menu button, I believe). I also carry a white board with me in case I can't quickly find something neutral in color. But distant shots (like pic #2) and reefscapes just aren't this camera's forte, IMO... Or at least not that I've been able to figure out. With that said, using manual white balance and a little post-production adjustment can still provide decent results... Especially at the price point and ease of use of the SeaLife line. The lack of RAW doesn't help matters either. If you look through my pics from the link in my signature (all taken with Sealife cameras), you'll notice that I do a lot more macro than I do wider angle.

Pic #1- If you were using a strobe on that shot, I would guess you either zoomed beyond the reach of the strobes, and/or you needed to adjust the strobe power higher. Closer is always better, and yes, it requires good buoyancy to avoid damaging the reef around you. Some people aren't a fan of them, but I will at times use a muck stick to help stabilize myself for macro shots. As long as you are careful using it, it's a very useful item to have on you.

Last edited:
Wow - I just looked at some of your pictures and I'm inspired! Really taken with a DC1400 huh?! I will continue to work at it. (I started to say 'try', but Yoda says "Do or do not. There is no try."!) :wink:

Regarding the "hot" button for WB, you say to hold the menu button down? do I need to have the slate in front of it while doing this?
How do I manually do it the regular way? my instructor showed me but seems like a lot of work...and honestly I don't think she knows what she is doing, just the impression I got...didn't learn a darn thing from her during my class. What a waste that was. I mean, if I come out of an UW photo class and don't know how to white balance my camera (also have not done it under water) it was pretty much a joke.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom