red mark across neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use to get them with latex seals. I may have been a little allergic, or they just irritated my skin. Change to silicone on both my drysuits and I haven't had any problems, plus I find them much more comfortable.

Terry

After posting mine, I saw Kathy's post, and very much agree. Seen it many times at the DUI days.

LOL...I can relate...I lost a lot of weight, and a couple inches of neck size, a few years back & getting my neck seal over my head is quite an experience these days.

I work with latex products and if you are allergic- you will have more than this rash. Latex allergies show as strongly as peanut type allergies and are actually very rare. most people show a contact dermatitis, which started showing when the aids epidemic first started and people started wearing latex gloves. Most got reactions from the gloves being on too long, or from the talc. It is has been said most likely from friction, or residual salt or contaminates on the seal. Also, sweating and lots of rotation while gearing up can abrade your neck (spoken from experience).

i have two bruises on the back of my shoulders from my drysuit (D1) one on the left side and one on the right. it is exactly were the zipper stars and where the zipper ends. im assuming it is from the weight of my bcd resting on the zipper ends. it doesn't hurt, but my wife pointed it out to me. i might have to steal some of her pads for my next dive :)
Be sure to get the kind with wings. They stay on your shoulder better. :)
1000947_196224_A_600.jpg

I work with latex products and if you are allergic- you will have more than this rash. Latex allergies show as strongly as peanut type allergies and are actually very rare. most people show a contact dermatitis, which started showing when the aids epidemic first started and people started wearing latex gloves. Most got reactions from the gloves being on too long, or from the talc. It is has been said most likely from friction, or residual salt or contaminates on the seal. Also, sweating and lots of rotation while gearing up can abrade your neck (spoken from experience).

I'm not a doctor, but you already see the responses where a move to silicone seals has eliminated the problem. There may be other mitigating factors causing the rash...I don't know, but there seems to be an argument for mild allergy.

I don't think it's an allergy, at least for most of us. I've got about a thousand dives in a dry suit, almost all with latex seals, and I've gotten hangman's neck a handful of times, with no identifiable commonality among them. I'm definitely not latex allergic. But whether it's getting a particularly good grip with the seal, or moving my head more, or what, sometimes the latex burns.

I've used Bag Balm for it. I've had it heal with that stuff even while I was still doing multiple dives a day.

I use silicone seals on my White's drysuit and get a bit red sometimes. Nothing I would call a rash, probably just newbie syndrome from jerking my head back and forth looking at all the cool stuff...:wink:

I use latex seals on my drysuit and have never gotten it. I've heard its a combination of water getting under your seal and neck movement within the seal while the seal stays in place.

My dive buddy used to get red marks around his neck regularly. When he stopped annoying me, they went away ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great info thanks everyone. I have actually had this happen with my wetsuit on rare occasions so this info is great knowledge for non Drysuit divers as well:)

Back
Top Bottom