red mark across neck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Emily's neck. She thinks it's related to the new hood -- I do not.

There are several chafing products available from swim outlet,if Vaseline doesn't work. The DUI article is pretty helpful and I'd be willing to bet her problem is chafing, just like in the DUI article.

---------- Post added November 13th, 2013 at 11:33 AM ----------

I work with latex products and if you are allergic- you will have more than this rash. Latex allergies show as strongly as peanut type allergies and are actually very rare. most people show a contact dermatitis, which started showing when the aids epidemic first started and people started wearing latex gloves. Most got reactions from the gloves being on too long, or from the talc. It is has been said most likely from friction, or residual salt or contaminates on the seal. Also, sweating and lots of rotation while gearing up can abrade your neck (spoken from experience).
I used to think I was allergic to latex and found that I was actually allergic to talc. I use plain cornstarch for my seals and cornstarch baby powder when I want a baby powder product. ( don't use baby powder for your seals, it will supposedly degrade the latex). I tried KY and it didn't seem to lubricate the seals as well, drying before I could get dressed.
I've actually only seen one serious reaction to latex in the medical field but boy, was it scary! I had a patient with an entire two notebook pages of allergies, no joke. Usually, somebody with this many allergies is a little whacky or the "allergies" are actually side effects to medications, things like upset stomach or heart racing from albuterol. A little patient education can typically help to avoid a lot of this misunderstanding. This patient really had a bunch of true allergies. The nurse went to put in a catheter prior to emergency transport and forgot about her latex allergy. I don't remember if it was a latex catheter or glove, I think it was a glove. Anyway, patient went into anaphylaxis and I was suddenly running a full-blown code on a woman with so many allergies that I literally couldn't keep track. I can tell you that I was really thankful that I wouldn't be doing her surgery and was very happy that I didn't have to care for her in the hospital except for the short time to stabilize her prior to transport for a broken hip. That was bad enough!

Interesting point! I had forgotten about the talc. That could contribute to the chafing, or as you say, can cause an allergy in and if itself.

Pic is gone.

I think we've all been discussing a simple abrasion & I wouldn't expect that to affect her voice. Of course I'm not a doctor so take that for what it's worth.

Is the abrasion still there?

I have a vague recollection of hearing her coughing or sneezing while she was waiting on the ramp---maybe she strained her voice that way?

A trip to the doctor is probably a good idea, just to check things out. Hopefully it's nothing.

It's extremely unlikely that anyone would tolerate a neck seal tight enough to do any damage to the larynx.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom