Red Sea, Anyone got any good/bad info !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lived for 2 years in Egypt and I never got tired of diving out of Sharm el-Sheikh. My last trip I dove with Camel Dive Club & Hotel. I had a great time! You can e-mail them at:
reservations@cameldive.com

Their phone numbers are: +20-62-600700

Good Luck!

Eilat will be more expensive but offer better all around services. It might offer better "Apre-Dive" activities as well.

As for diving in Eilat, you will probably find it less rewarding than Sinai, as too much diving and mankind in general did not help the U/W eco system. In any case it is still a very nice place to dive.

You can check the net to find alot of diving clubs and facilities in Eilat and Sinai. Check out the offers. The touristic situation in the area is not too good lately, so you'll probably be able to find good deals.

Have fun.

Ari :D

Hi K,

Here's a trip report from some divers who were there recently. I sure wish that I had gone with them!!!

-kate

Let's not get political here please! I thought this is about diving!
I was in Sharm during Feb.5th till the 10, and back again on Feb.21st. and stayed at the Mariott, Neima Bay, one of the most expensive hotels,$60 PER ROOM 2 people, with breakfast .and did both shore and boat dive during the time. I used my Nikonos for both general and close-up shots ON ALL dives, I did not need to go to a certain area to look for Macro, the shots are there waiting for US. Let's have fun and enjoy diving, let the politician kill themselves !!!If anybody can find a place like Sharm,with great diving ,cheap hotels,lots of entertainment and a smiley face, then let them go there and leave Sharm to us divers who would like to have a nice vacation.

Fazlo
Qualifications to talk about this subject:
Archeologist
C.M.A.S. ***Instructor
Pilot
Diving the Red Sea since 1980

K

Thought I'd add to the affray you seem to have started.

Having never been to Eilat I can't comment.

I am just back from Sharm though having spent two weeks at the Ocean Club doing OW with Ocean College.

Sharm has a little bit of everything you could fancy , and as Grandma always said a little bit of what you fancy does you good.

The diving was superb (and you know that it can only get better there), the wildlife amazing, Narma Bay itself was bustling with activity. Bars, Restraunts, Shops full of papyrus that's never even heard of Luxor and is probably made in Romford. Lots of fun.

Let my actions be your guide. I WILL be back in Sharm within the next six months, even if I have to put my cats to work to earn some extra cash.

Enjoy whatever you do.

Grouper

.....we need a bigger boat........

The problem is, it's not just the politicians. As a western female unaccompanied by a male companion when I visited Sharm, I was constantly being harassed by randy Arab males. In fact, I kept getting phone calls to my hotel room, even in the middle of the night, from Ibn Lotharios. I don't know if the hotel staff was giving out information or if I was overheard at the front desk or restaurant giving my room number, but the internal phone system made it easy for them. I wound up having to leave the phone off the hook.

Also, I was almost raped by one of the Egyptian soldiers who are supposed to be safeguarding the tourists. Luckily a gardener at the hotel heard my cries and came to see what was happening which scared the guy off. And to be honest, when I reported the incident it was taken seriously.

However, IF I ever go back to the Red Sea unaccompanied by a male, I will probably look for a liveaboard out of Eilat that can go to all the sites on the Sinai. Does anyone know a good one?

hey DiverMichelle

Really sad to hear your reports of such a nightmarish time whilst you were in Sharm!

Grief... I must admit, I had been concerned about first going to Egypt several years ago, being rather small, female and most notably blonde... however I have since returned there five or six times since, many times alone and thankfully have never encountered such behaviour. In fact the only hassle I ever encountered was being offered taxi services in Naama or being invited to buy perfume. I really hope this encounter has not put you off returning to what really is a spectacular diving centre...

It would be a shame for you to miss out completely due to the actions of a few irresponsible idiots.

Hi Dive Bunny,

Thanks for your encouragement. For the life of me I don't understand why I was being harassed. I'm short but noone would call me small and have dark hair. I dressed as frumpy as possible in loose crew neck t-shirts or polos and loose long pants or shorts that went at least down to my knees, Hardly a sex pot. I didn't hang out in the bars. And as the guide books recommend, I yelled "Imshee!" (go away, get lost) when the guy started coming after me. I think he may have done this before from the way he went about it.

I may go back to Egypt sometime because I really loved the diving but it probably would be in conjunction with a trip to Europe and have to be on a liveaboard run by westerners who've trained their crew in appropriate behavior. It's just too long a trip and too expensive for a return just to Egypt now that I've visited the monuments when there are so many other places in the world to dive for the same or less money and less hassle.

parksie:
Despite sentiments displayed in another thread, we've had great trips with Emperor Divers, and I've been out for a week's liveaboard on the Mahy the past two years, and we're going again this October :)
Emperor is excellent.

Laurens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom