Red Sea Over Dived or What !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That makes me feel much better, at least that the problem isn't my fellow dive instructors. I'm glad that your instructor was aware of the problem and had the courage to do something about it. Perhaps those buttmunchers will get the message and not act like that in the future.

It looks like there could be something done with the countries Tourism board. Are they taking an active part in educating people about the frailty of the reefs, or doing any kind of enforcing to those who ignore common sense and decency?

Mario :D

Over in Hurghada they are starting to realise that the coral and the tourists are the main source of finance and are starting to sharpen up.
I was staying at the Hilton Hurghada and being a 17 yr old girl who was walking round in little over a bikini in a muslim county isnt always the advised thing to do but i felt almost completely safe with the tourist police hovering over the whole time.
It isnt just on land that they are now investing in as well. I cant only judge from the company i dived with (as you've guessed by now - emperor divers) but a certain amount that they make goes towards an organisation run to protect their corals from being destroyed - although a lot of the damage has already been done with dead coral covering a large proportion of some dive sites that would have under normal conditions been very good dives.
The are also becoming alert to the actual training of students when it comes to the coral and its protection and it was continually mentioned to me when i was training, and i even ended up having a lengthy convo about it with my instructor - very informative.

-x-abby-x-

As I said it is not just the instructors but the idiot who suddenly think they are the dogs bollocks under the water after just a few dives.

For me I think the South Africans are the best. Especially my old instructor who had his own dive school in Durban, free swims with the Big Whites and still has all his arms and legs. Not for me though.

I am from the UK and am not a confident diver due to the conditions of the UK waters (i have only dived it once!)
I am quite an open kinda person and am willing to hear others points of view however i will then air my opinion - which is that although some people from these countries may show these characteristics you cant say that all UK divers are over confident due to the conditions.
This isn't the case with most divers and i personally believe that it must be looked at from a wider perspective!

-x-abby-x-

Dear all,

I would firstly just like to say I am a diver with a fair amount of experience.

I write things with a slight sense of humour to them not always meant to be taken word for word. This is where this dive forum falls a little short. It is really easy to interpret things wrongly because you cannot hear a tone to a voice or see a smirk or facial expression.

But really I have to say and I am British, that the Brits are too confident, we are too arrogant and a little too stuck up when it comes to everything including diving.

I have dived with all nationalities and i thought us divers were of a fun natured sort people able to also have fun at others expenses as well.

Heya Peeps,

There are valid points flinging from all directions and I wanted to say a little something then I think this thread has been pretty much battered ...

Without pointing any fingers I want to make two points ...

1) Be careful how you make certain statements. This is a "Text based" forum and we cannot always tell your tone of voice or if something is being said in jest or if its spiteful etc... So remember to be extra clear with your meanings and don't get bent out of shape right away because I'm pretty sure most everyone here does not mean to offend anyone ...

2) Having said that, on the other end please try to remember that we don't always know how people are saying stuff and they probably mean no harm so before we jump all over someone look for the forgotten "dotted i's" and the missed "crossed T's"

Ok, with those out of the way I want to clear one thing up that is my own personal conviction and policy...

The diving Industry has WAY too much "Elitists / I'm better than you" attitude as it is. If you don't think so or you don't see it then 1 of 2 things....

1) Wake up, open your eyes and sniff the reality or ...
2) You may actually be better off keeping your eyes closed as it's not a pretty sight and I honestly hope you never have to personally experience it.

For the first time I have edited the posts above to remove certain things. As many of you know, we here don't storm around with a big red marker and an eraser but because of what the post implied (even if it was not how it was meant) was not something that is welcome here. I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and I'm sure no harm was meant but as many of you saw it was quickly met with some rather blunt replies. I personally have been severely injured by fighting in a "war" that was not on my countries turf, but I agree with why we were there. I believe all people (White, Black, Brown, Yellow, Green, Smurfs and yes even Barney - well maybe not Barney, hehe) alike should be at least respected for being apart of the "Human Race"... until such time they feel they are better than the rest and feel they are allowed to deny basic human rights from the rest of us.

I would hope that EVERYONE here is of the same "Race" ... the "Scuba" Race ... Divers, both online and offline, gather for their common interest, "Scuba Diving". So as far as I am concerned there is no room for blaming any race for anything. I am very proud of my background and heritage ... I am a 100% pure bread ... As like most Americans I am 100% pure MUTT ... hehe ... So when you start blaming "Italians for this, English for that, African for these, Germans for those, Jews for the another and Irish for yet some other, etc... well I think the only thing you succeeded in doing was insulting every Gene in my body...and for that matter EVERY gene in the Human Race pool... and I for one don't care for such loose lips ...

I will end my rant with one last pearl of wisdom ....

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"!

=-)

:royal:, that was very well said. To the point, and very clear. That's how all posts should be. Bravo Brother on a job well done!:D

Mario :D

Has any one dived the minesweeper site of El Minah, comments please on the desolation around the wreck.

I understand the oil tanks maybe full and leaking slightly
but it really is a moon landscape around the wreck. It has been there for15-20 odd years I believe, why still no significant marine growth?

Fair comment Neptune, no more said!!

Meryy Chrimbo to all the Underwater frat !!!

Narc

Comments on damage being caused to the Red Sea dive sites. I feel the best loaction to dive is Ras Mohamed but the rest of the sites are being destroyed.

Comments Please....
I made 2 dives there. I didn't see much. Water was nice and warm - but I can get warm water lots closer and cheaper than Egypt.

This is a fairly old thread! I wonder if one of the OPs could (if they have not passed away due to age) update us on the difference of the Red Sea now and then (8 years ago!)

Back
Top Bottom