Cargo Ship hijacked in Red Sea near Yemen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yemen is 1000 miles from Sharm and 800 miles from Marsa Alam. This hijacking may be interesting in terms of potential to draw Yemen into an outright war but irrelevant with respect to diving in Egypt.
Outright war with whom? There is an ongoing war in Yemen for 7 or 8 years now. This hijacking is horrible for the people directly involved... in terms of politics in the 'region' it's a nothing burger.

I know US news hardly ever covers anything outside the US so I reckon people don't realise that that localized wars and armed conflict unfortunately go on all the time in the world... it just never gets covered on Fox News, NBC, CNN, Alex Jones news channel. But every time they do cover something, they'll make it seem like WW3 is about to break out any day now. Meanwhile, drug problems, gun violence and other domestic problems kill people all the time... just saying.

I meant war with Israel since the Houthi took the ship in response to the Gaza situation. If Israel were to bomb Yemen they would be sending planes down the Red Sea.

That's not viable. They have to overfly few Arab states. Do you really think they would get clearance to do so?

That's not viable. They have to overfly few Arab states. Do you really think they would get clearance to do so?

Do you really think they would bother to ask for clearance? But they can avoid Saudi Arabia and fly down the Red Sea.

Shipping is complex, Ray Car Carriers is registered in the Isle of Man and is owned by Israel’s Abraham “Rami” Ungar. The ship sails under a Bahamian flag, has a multinational crew none of which are Israelis and is operated by a Japanese company NYK.

There's an Iranian ship (Behshad) sitting at the southern end of the Red Sea, and most likely it was also involved in this hijacking, as the Iranians are supporting the Houthis as well as Hamas.

Rami Unger's ships have been targeted in the past in the Gulf of Oman, directly by Iranian forces.

I meant war with Israel since the Houthi took the ship in response to the Gaza situation. If Israel were to bomb Yemen they would be sending planes down the Red Sea.
The rebels can't have an 'outright war' with Israel... they don't have an air force or a navy and are currently at war. And there is Saudi Arabia inbetween them whom they are at war with right now.

Even if Israel would send planes? Than what?

You are perfectly right, sure liveaboards in Egyptian waters may be attacked by the pirates coming from Yemen or Somalia .... sure these people are equipped to sail more than 1000 kms further in the north without any problem :
proxy-image.jpg

and I wonder if they haven't recently brought a nuclear submarine to the russians....

proxy-image3.jpg

Seriously .....

There is interest in these news, geopolitically and economically speaking, culturally and humanely speaking.

A diver is also a human and should therefore have broader intellectual interests.

But I'm not sure this forum is the right place for this.

Have a look at a marine map and be serious...

Not one single LOB has been hijacked by pirates in the last 30 years. You may still worry, arguing that "past performance is no guarantee for future performance", indeed. But in that case, the advice is simple "stay at home".
Why posting this news? It's a bulk cargo on the way from Turkey to India, British-owned, Japanese-operated, Panama-flagged, no Israeli on board.... Relevance to dive ops in the Red Sea = zero.
MY. Indian Ocean Explorer - was hijacked by Somali pirates near Aldabra and never recovered. No passengers on board.

@John Bantin
Interesting... do you have any link /reference yo can post? i can not find anything.
Saying that, Somali pirates operates near the Somali coast south of Aden, and that's +1.500 km away and even not in the Red Sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom