Red Sea Wildlife Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every time we tried to dive at Jackson reef for Hammerheads it was to rough in May we so wanted to see them but we did see one white tip but that was all in three weeks diving....... shame:(

Every time we tried to dive at Jackson reef for Hammerheads it was to rough in May we so wanted to see them but we did see one white tip but that was all in three weeks diving....... shame:(
Best time for the Hammerheads at Jackson is July to September.

We were in Sharm between May 2nd and the 23rd. Manta at Shark/Yolanda/Satalite and stayed with us for a good 20 minutes. This was however the best dive ever so much fish couldnt move for the amount that was there this was around the 20th May dive guide who is local and dives here alot was amazed he said he knew it would be good but this exceeded what he thougjht would be there. we dived around there the opposite way round and saw so much as the others dived the normal way and didnt see very much... turtles Napolean Angel so big i have never seen anything like them before. Absolutely the best dive ever even better than diving in an equarium..... Sharm Coast Diving are superb and i would recomend them to anone to use.:D
A good dive guide makes all the difference :)

One of my best dives ever was on that site. I started at Anemone City, passed Shark Reef, then instead of continuing to Yolanda with the reef to my right hand, I drifted with the current around Yolanda to eventually reach Satellite Reef. Through this drift all we had to do is watch the amazing marine life; turtles, huge napoleons, schools of different fish, etc... No finning, no low-on-air signs, no crap diving :D

Best time for the Hammerheads at Jackson is July to September.
Yeah well.. Lets just say that Ive been in the area 3 weeks during the past 3 years in "july to september" and it havent been a single day Ive been able to go to the hammerhead side of Jackson reef.. It seems to me that dive is just a myth :confused:

Yeah well.. Lets just say that Ive been in the area 3 weeks during the past 3 years in "july to september" and it havent been a single day Ive been able to go to the hammerhead side of Jackson reef.. It seems to me that dive is just a myth :confused:
It's not a myth, but the Red Sea is not an aquarium either. In other words, it's highly likely to have hammerhead encounters during this period at this place, but no one can 100% guarantee the encounter will actually happen.

Other people working in the Red Sea can confirm this.

Well, it might be highly likely to have hammerhead enconters there at the mentioned time, but that dont help if the conditions never are good enough to dive there, does it?

As far as "others working there can confirm this" gives me about as much confidence as a salesperson say that his product is better than the rivaling product he dont sell :wink:

Well, it might be highly likely to have hammerhead enconters there at the mentioned time, but that dont help if the conditions never are good enough to dive there, does it?

The conditions at this particular area is usually tougher than other areas in Tiran. However, it's not "never good enough".

The conditions at this particular area is usually tougher than other areas in Tiran. However, it's not "never good enough".
I know its rougher there than the rest of Tiran, Its kinda hard to miss that fact. But yes, as far as my experiences goes 100% of the times its been "never good enough" and Ive been out there enough times to realize that planning to go there for that particular dive is pointless unless you can go there every day for an extended period of time - which the average tourist cant.

Fortunately theres plenty of other good dives in the area though.

But yes, as far as my experiences goes 100% of the times its been "never good enough" and Ive been out there enough times to realize that planning to go there for that particular dive is pointless unless you can go there every day for an extended period of time - which the average tourist cant.
True. If you're sharing a the boat with other divers you don't know, you'll just take your chances. On the other hand, if you manage to travel with a group of friends or a dive club so that your number is big enough to have the boat for yourselves, then unless you're really unlucky, it's doable over the normal-stay period.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom