reducing air usage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

60ft--just don't read that anymore, it's a bunch of garbage IMHO. "...allows for maximum gas transfer." Why would holding your breath allow for maximum gas transfer? All it's doing is BUILDING UP CO2 and in the end it will make you want to breathe MORE. We don't hold our breath on land to "allow for maximum gas transfer" do we? We especially don't need to do that on scuba...

The best way to breathe on scuba is no different than how you breathe on land. Why would you change how you breathe? Most people take these HUGE breaths of air on scuba, let out a little, breathe in again, let out a little (especially when stressed). Do that right now. After a few breaths you'll feel like crap. Why would you want to do that? Just breathe normally. Like in my sig line--slow and relaxed with good technique. :)

To the poster speaking of putting your head in the water and breathing off your reg with no mask--you are quite correct. That's actually something you should do before every dive, ESPECIALLY the cold ones. It's called "cold water treatment" or "exhalation drills" depending on who you ask.
It helps your body slow down metabolism and prepare for the cooler temperatures. It also helps you to relax and get used to breathing underwater with the feeling of water around your face and eyes. This is a great tool for learning how to do almost everything else on scuba. It could also be a lifesaver--if you can't do that I can almost guarantee that if your mask came off at 90ft you'd have some serious issues.

As to the OP's question--lowing SAC rate can come from a variety of sources. Being in better aerobic shape, being more comfortable underwater, being more relaxed, less drag, frog kicking instead of flutter kicking...lots of things play into air consumption.

SparticleBrane:
60ft--just don't read that anymore, it's a bunch of garbage IMHO. "...allows for maximum gas transfer." Why would holding your breath allow for maximum gas transfer? All it's doing is BUILDING UP CO2...
Wow... these feedbacks have made my day! If it wasn't for this forum, I would NOT have discovered that I've been doing something wrong while underwater, and I would have been "ignorant is bliss" and continuing doing it. Quite sobering! I'll follow your (and cummings66's) suggestion and just breathe normally as on land... Thanks again... you two may have saved me from a future dive incident!

Glad to help. :)

My main issue here isn't with you, or how you're breathing--it's with the magazine for advocating what is essentially skip breathing.
If they really thought about it they'd realize that holding your breath for a second or two isn't helping to exchang the gas, especially on scuba. As we descend in the water the partial pressure of oxygen (and nitrogen and whatever else you might be breathing) increases--thus you're getting MORE oxygen than normal even though you're breathing air. This doesn't mean that you get to use any more of it, though, because your body's metabolism hasn't changed.
If they are talking about CO2 exchange--they might be correct about the "exhaling all the way thing." Then again, when I breathe normally I tend to exhale completely...so it's a non-issue if you just breathe normally underwater. :)

I'm a believer that every diver out there wants a better air consumption rate, and I know for a fact that many of us have tried tricks to get there because we want it now instead of waiting for it to come.

The thread here has the best advice you can give to a diver, it's all about diving and getting to be one with it. Get the trim and buoyancy right and the rest will follow.

I won't brag, I want better rates myself. I do ok however.

Okay.. so my breathing technics are okay from what i am reading, so its more a practice makes perfect thing. Now about the bouyancy. I can float just fine.. except on a low tank in <15' of water.. adding a couple of pounds should take care of that. Going to add it to the shoulder pockets.. since I seem to have a little bit of trouble with my legs wanting to drop lower than my shoulders. I'm thinking that adding the weight to the shoulder pockets will couter that????? The instructor that gave me the PPB was able to lay out perfectly horizontal... told i'm doing great.. just need to practice and it would all fall into place. I just felt like my legs kept dropping down in about 30' of water..although I wasn't going up in depth. Darn size 14 feet.. LOL

No smoking!!!
fitness is more important build up your lung power.

regul8r:
cigarettes.. YUCK!!!!
Nasty taste.. even nastier smell...
Good boy!!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom