Reducing Atomic Jaw Fatigue & Exhaust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to reduce jaw fatigue on my Atomic Z1 regulator. I'm using a 5' hose going under my arm then around my neck. It constantly pulls. I'm thinking it would be the perfect length though if I put the Atomic swivel on. Maybe I should just try a 6' hose instead and then get the swivel?

Also, Anyone installed the exhaust deflector on the Z1? Is it worth doing? I take lots of photos when I go on warm water trips maybe the deflector will help in that area?

If you have the older style Z1 then the mouthpiece certainly leaves something to be desired. Check with your LDS about getting the new style mouthpiece. You can also have them change the exhaust port to a T2 type exhaust. A fairly inexpensive upgrade :)

Basically it till make a Z2 out of your Z1.

Good luck :)

My hubby/buddy and I just got the swivels installed on our Atomics, and they are terrific. No more pulling (that used to drive me crazy). We also have purchased sea-cure mouthpieces but haven't installed them yet. Definitely want to do so before we start local diving in the cold water!
YMMV, but we found the swivels were very much worth it.

Deborah

Switching to a longer hose might help if you're rather, er, barrel chested. I'm rather slim and a 5' works for me but might not for someone a bit bigger. I'd skip the swivel and the SeaCure since I assume you'll be donating your primary reg and the mouthpiece won't work as well as a standard one for someone else. I actually like the Apeks Comfo-bite mouthpiece but I know there are people that don't. I have ZERO jaw fatigue with it and that used to be a problem for me.

Rachel

try getting a longer hose.

the more moveable parts u have like the swivel, the more possibility for error should it ever occur. you wont expect when the swivel may stop working.. leak... im being very prudent here. haha.

I just called my LDS today about the swivel (the one that only fits the Atomic second stage, not the universal one). They want $120 for it including hose! (Retail is $140). You can't buy them without the hose. That's dumb because can't you just screw in any length hose you want anyway? I don't want a universal one as if I'm going swivel I want the most reliable one possible. Crap, now I'm thinking I should have just got a B2 instead of a Z1.

I've got a Seacure mouthpiece coming. The dealer I bought the reg from recommended the 5' routing under the arm and around the neck - I'm surprised they may have miscalculated. I suppose I could ask them to ship me a 6' and credit me for returning the 5' but that's probably not worth the hassle of shipping just a hose clear across the country.

The problem is I'm headed on a dive trip in 12 days and will only have one or two chances before then to get back in the water and fine tune everything.

I saw one post of someone that owned a B2 and the swivel started to leak at the point it attaches to the regulator. It seems I should try to my best to get it to a point where it is comfortable without a swivel - lower cost, less things to fail/maintain. But if I still have jaw fatigue even with a 6' then the swivel is obviously the answer.

So I'll wait until the Seacure mouthpiece shows up in a couple days and get that on, then try a 6' hose. My chest size is only about 39-40" last time I checked but I think when you add the drysuit and undergarment, that makes a significant difference.

Does anyone sell the Atomic Swivel (not the universal one) over the net?

Oh by the way, I saw a post that the swivel should be installed by a dealer. Isn't it as simple as using a crescent wrench to install it or is it more complicated than that?

I have a 40 in hose that I use for my primary,route it under my arm. I also use a seacure mouthpiece for 10 years. Best $$ I ever spent. Just got a 360 swivel universal fit for around 31 bucks. My LDS said that if it did leak over time that it would be very little.Not enough to loose anty PSI. Talked with somepeople that have these and have never had a problem with them. I figure for 31 bucks it was worth a try. The Atomic hose with swivel was just way to much$$.
And yes you can install it yourself///use two wrenchs instead of one///might be a little easier :)
I don't have an atomic reg setup but a long hose,360 swivel,and a secure mouthpiece will work on everyones. I use a sherwoord oasis 10+years.
Just got feedback on the swivel from the Kraken. He said he has been diving with his for over 6 years and has had not a problem with leaking. Sold on the 31 dollar one!!

Back
Top Bottom