Question Reef hook: bolt snap or carabiner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

L2m

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dear all,

So I'm gonna dive in Komodo at the end of this month where the current is the strongest, and this would be my first "against-the-current" dive (I've dived in Sharm before where the current is also strong, but it's purely drift dive and we do nothing except from drifting alongside the current). I bought a TOOKE reef hook with me as advised by my dive trip leader, and it came by default with a very small carabiner hook. It's large enough to be connected with one of my D-rings but my trip leader recommended me to switch it to a 70mm-length single-ended bolt snap, and his reason is that the bolt snap will be much easier to operate with, especially when I was hurrying to deploy the hook in strong current. However, I looked up wikipedia which said "Bolt snaps are not generally load rated, and are not used to suspend heavy loads"; considering that the reef hook needs to hold me, plus all my equipment against a really strong current, or even another diver in my group if they missed their reef hooks, would it be advisable to still use a bolt snap?

I'm a heavy person with 87kg, a just-above-average bulk and will likely be wearing drysuit for all dives (with thin undergarment), plus single gas tank. I might need a few kilograms of weight given this is the first time I "dry-dive" in salty water.

Thanks in advance for any possible advice!

I have my reef hook set up with one of these: 2" Fixed Snap Shackle Type 316 Stainless Steel.

It can be released easily under load in case of a problem and has shown no sign of corrosion. A standard bolt snap would certainly be strong enough, though, much stronger than the line attaching it to your body, or the stitching securing the D-ring to your BC .

If the current is strong enough to break a boltsnap that wasnt a super extra saver deal from wish, you probably shouldn't hook in, sounds painful and dangerous. Think about what those forces would do to your arms and legs that aren't made of metal

Bolt snaps are easy to operate with 1 hand, and the break strength is in far excess of what's required here. As mentioned above, the various soft parts will break way before the bolt snap would bend or shear. Try bending one with your hands, can you get even close? If not, why would you consider using your hands to attach yourself to the reef with one?

I take Ron's point that a snap shackle can be released under load. That definitely has an advantage in a sailing or rigging scenario, where the load is serious. But, even with two divers hanging in a fast current, the amount of force required to unload the bolt snap a centimeter or so, is really not that much. And a snap shackle cannot be easily opened and closed with 1 hand like a bolt snap can.

I'd recommend following the advice of your dive lead, it sounds like they know what they're talking about. Whatever you do, make sure you bring along one or more cutting devices that can easily cut the line you're diving with.

You just need one hand to pull the pin, loaded or not. A loop of nylon cord would make it even easier.

I set up my Komodo reef hook with one of the XDEEP bolt snaps. It has a larger gate and flat 90-degree release that is much easier to open. I have come to really like this style of bolt snaps, particularly the double-enders.

Piranha has knockoffs for about half the price. However, the action is not as smooth as the XDEEP.

XDEEP NX Series Bolt Snaps

Piranha Bolt Snaps

Screen Shot 2023-06-22 at 5.15.25 PM.png

I'm headed back to Komodo in early 2024. Can't wait to use the hook again. Love Komodo!

Bolt snaps are easy to operate with 1 hand, and the break strength is in far excess of what's required here. As mentioned above, the various soft parts will break way before the bolt snap would bend or shear. Try bending one with your hands, can you get even close? If not, why would you consider using your hands to attach yourself to the reef with one?

I take Ron's point that a snap shackle can be released under load. That definitely has an advantage in a sailing or rigging scenario, where the load is serious. But, even with two divers hanging in a fast current, the amount of force required to unload the bolt snap a centimeter or so, is really not that much. And a snap shackle cannot be easily opened and closed with 1 hand like a bolt snap can.

I'd recommend following the advice of your dive lead, it sounds like they know what they're talking about. Whatever you do, make sure you bring along one or more cutting devices that can easily cut the line you're diving with.
Adding to your last comment, I have a line cutter (which should cut my DSMB reel line/my webbing) but my reef hook comes with a much thicker line. I don't think my line cutter could cut off my reef hook in an emergency, is that a big issue?

I also put a loop at the end of the line where the bolt snap is tied. The loop is for my hand as sometimes instead of clipping in I just hold the loop with my hand. I don't carry a camera so don't need both hands and this makes it quick and easy to deploy and then real myself in and go.

I also put a loop at the end of the line where the bolt snap is tied. The loop is for my hand as sometimes instead of clipping in I just hold the loop with my hand. I don't carry a camera so don't need both hands and this makes it quick and easy to deploy and then real myself in and go.
This is what I do. I don’t usually need hands free for a camera or anything so a handle is usually a better option for me. I think I may have even slipped a length of plastic tubing on it to make it more comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom