Question Reef hook: bolt snap or carabiner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adding to your last comment, I have a line cutter (which should cut my DSMB reel line/my webbing) but my reef hook comes with a much thicker line. I don't think my line cutter could cut off my reef hook in an emergency, is that a big issue?
If not, you're using too heavy of line or the cutter is junk. What line are you using? #36 commonly used for wreck reels is more than enough since it's doubled and an EEZY-Cut will go through that like a hot knife through butter. The EEZY-Cut will go through paracord just as easily.

This is what I do. I don’t usually need hands free for a camera or anything so a handle is usually a better option for me. I think I may have even slipped a length of plastic tubing on it to make it more comfortable.
Thanks for the idea! I've been holding the line for almost the entire trip and sometimes it gets really unbearable.

I've completed the trip with the reef hook and here is my experience and bring-home-messages:

- A bolt snap hook will hold. We've been to the shotgun and the bolt snap never fails.

- When buying a new hook what one must pay attention to is the type of rope used. A lady on my boat used a hook with spring cord, the one that looks like spring and could be easily compressed and stored away - but this cord is guaranteed to break under even a moderate current! The first few drift dives were nightmares for her and her dive guide until we replaced the cord with some ropes from the kitchen.

I've never used a reef hook but the whole concept just seems like being bait on the end of a fishing line

bolt snaps are great especially to drag you around on your out of control scooter
Personal experience?

Bolt snap and 3mm 8 Plait Polyester Cord.

IMG_20230910_062727.jpg

Where you been man I was about to put out an alert

Could use a snap shackle, they are made to be released under load.

Snap Shackles | West Marine
Having used them quite a lot in sailing, they can be annoying to use, especially one-handed. You often need a strong, decisive pull. Also, with gloves it would be hard to pull that ring, so you would have to tie on a string, which again increases risk of it coming lose if the string gets trapped. Personally I'd prefer a bolt snap + a way of cutting in a possible emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom