Question Reef hook: bolt snap or carabiner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some SB member DM me on how to coil my reef hook from 6 foot long rope (1/4” paracord) as shown in Figure 1 into into a foot long coiled rope, as shown in Figure 5. So here is step by step procedure on how to coil it:

1. Fold the BSS end of the rope 6” away for the double figure-eight loop (D8) knot or 9” away from the BSS tip, as shown in Figure 2. This 6” folded rope will be used as “shaft” or “axle” for the rest of the coil to rest against the previous coil.
2. Coil the Reef Hook (RH) end of the rope, starting from the D8 knot, as shown in Figure 3.
3. Repeat the step 2 about 36 loops, make sure to pack the coils to fit 36 coils into 6” long “shaft”. Figure 4 shows 20 coils (halfway into the job).
4. Once the 36th coils is completed, there should be a small loop hole at the end of the “shaft” to fasten the RH end of BSS and secure the coiled rope, as shown in Figure 5.

View attachment 820378
Figure 1: 6-foot long rope reef hook

View attachment 820383
Figure 2: Fold BSS end of the rope for 6” long “shaft”

View attachment 820384
Figure 3: First coil loop around the “shaft”

View attachment 820385
Figure 4: Half way coiling the rope (20 loops)

View attachment 820386
Figure 5: Reef Hook with coiled rope (36 loops)

Love what you have done Dan.
This works and it is not a 'birds nest' stuffing it my tech shorts or in my waist band, had a spare al spool and thought , why not.
IMG_20240112_071458.jpg
IMG_20240112_071356.jpg

IMG_20240112_071147.jpg

IMG_2943.jpeg

IMG_2944.jpeg

IMG_2945.jpeg

IMG_2947.jpeg

It looks like I can put the whole kit with spool in my BCD pocket. DSMB in my right waist pocket and reef hook kit in my left waist pocket. No more dangling stuff. 👍

My paracord is even stronger (6mm diameter, twice thicker polyester rope than yours).

I improve upon your spool idea by weaving the rope around the spool flange holes. So the spool would stay on the rope near the BCD D-ring. No more coiling the rope. Just wind it when I’m done with the reef hooking.

Very compact setup. Fits nicely inside BCD pocket.

IMG_2952.jpeg
IMG_2950.jpeg
IMG_2949.jpeg

IMG_2955.jpeg

My paracord is even stronger (6mm diameter, twice thicker polyester rope than yours).
I have some of that 6mm cord, do you find it a little bulky and overkill? May be thicker, not sure if it is twice as strong though.:daydream:
I would like to know the breaking strain of both, the maker of the 3mm site says :

Venetian Blind Cord 3mm x 100m - White ; SKU. 353144 ; Breaking Load (kg):200
VB cord is a versatile 16 plait polyester rope that has multiple uses. Commonly used for light halyards, lashing and lacing. Available in black or white and is UV stabilised for long life in permanent exposure. Ends can be heat welded.BR>
More than enough to hold my sorry arse in place.:yeahbaby:

I have some of that 6mm cord, do you find it a little bulky and overkill? May be thicker, not sure if it is twice as strong though.:daydream:
I would like to know the breaking strain of both, the maker of the 3mm site says :

VB cord is a versatile 16 plait polyester rope that has multiple uses. Commonly used for light halyards, lashing and lacing. Available in black or white and is UV stabilised for long life in permanent exposure. Ends can be heat welded.BR>

My 1/4" paracord:

The specs says its breaking strength is 2350 lbs (1067 kg).

2m long rope is thick enough to fit in finger spool and easy to grab on than thin (3mm) rope. So why not use it?

I have seen people use even thicker (1/2" or even 3/4"), too bulky to wind it into finger spool.

Some ripping current can add the force to twice or three times of your body weight. I have bent reef hook, flooded my mask and broke my thin coil wire line as shown, below) before from ripping currents.

IMG_2962.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom