Reef Resort Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefraff2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is our first trip to Grand Cayman, and were looking at the Reef Resort. Does anyone have any info on this resort and the diving in this area? Any suggestions for dive operations? Also, The Reef Resort offers an all inclusive package, Is it worth going all inclusive or is their good resturants close by? Also what other activities for non-divers? Is their beach area for sun and fun? And fufu drinks??? By the way girl friend asking these questions.
What is the weather and diving conditions for May on Grand Cayman?
Any and all informations and suggestions would be greatly appreciated in planning this trip.???

Thanks

GC is an awesome place! I do not know about that resort but AI is the way to go. The island is expensive and dinner for 2 can easily be $100-200. There is plenty for non divers to do, there are jungle trips, you have to go to hell and do stingray city (all non diving and is a gas!), you can rent a scooter and ride around, again an awesome place.

7mile beach rocks! The sand is like baby powder and the ocean is clear and flat. There are sunset catamaran cruises for dinner and drinks. As to the diving, you can expext football field viz, excellent wall dives (i was down 115' before I knew it) and the reefs are fantastic along the north. Temps range in the 80's so you do not need a suit, although I do get chilled so nothing above a 3mm. I dove with resort sports but there are a bunch of ops. Mostly cattle boats but the ops are good at what they do. If there is any other info i can provide shoot me a pm. I have a dive report somewhere in the GC thread, take a look for it. Here is a pic down about 70' diving the reefs, and one from stingray city.
jack

Attachments

• reef.jpg
    reef.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 66
  • stingrayCity.jpg
    stingrayCity.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 62
I like the Reef Resort a lot but I would not do AI there. Unless they've changed the schedule - which I doubt since they're not making it for the relatively few divers staying there - they do not serve breakfast early enough to make the dive boat in the morning. And if you are going to do afternoon dives you won't have enough time to get back there and eat lunch. You'll have a kitchen in most units, so having simple stuff like cereal/salad/sandwich makings or whatever is a better plan for breakfast and lunch and is also a way to save money. For dinner there are enough options within a reasonable drive (depending on your definition of close) plus again you can cook in some if you prefer.

(The other reason I wouldn't do AI is the restaurant at the Reef sucked when we stayed there. I've been told it's gotten much better, but I still wouldn't want to take a chance on locking myself into that.)

The Reef Resort has a very nice beach and pool to hang out at with a bar for fufu drinks, but is on the East End of the island nowhere near Seven Mile Beach and most of the shopping/activities on the island. It's near the best diving though.

You have 2 dive op choices on that end of the island and if you do a little reading you will see Ocean Frontiers is recommended about 98% of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom