Reef-Rider vs 5 Oceans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't tried the oceans 5, but as many have stated, for the price, i think the quality is really there on the reef rider, i tried buying one for my wife, but i haven't found a medium for her yet, it does have 2 easy access pockets, and travels well, i think it's 6.5 pounds and folds, and the fit is great!

I have both the Reef Rider and the Oceans 5. To me the difference is the pockets and attachment points. I like to carry things like No Fog and a knife that won't scare away a Great White. Folding pocket knives work just as good as a 12" blade when I am cutting fishing string. The Oceans 5 is lighter and more travel friendly. I added key rings to the knife holder mounts so I attach the retractors for my SPG and flashlight.

I've got a Reef Rider and I like it. Pockets are easy to find/open and close. Back inflate is awesome- feels like you aren't wearing a BCD at all. You put some of your weight in the non-dumping pockets on the tank band and it works fine on the surface.
Not thrilled with the plastic D rings, but it is light and very packable. Plenty of places to mount clips/retractors, etc...

I agree with Rockhead, I've found that some weight in the tank trim pockets gets rid of the tendency to make you float face down.

I have a reef rider, it has 2 pockets, and the weights are dumpable through the bootom of the pouches with a clip on each side. I like the bc very well, and paid low dollars for it!

Just back from my trip to Cozumel. The BC worked great. But in comparison to the Reef Rider, I like the Reef Rider more. I really need the pockets and the D rings that the RR has. For Drift diving, I carry my own safety sausage and I had to attach it to the plastic D ring on the right side weight pocket. I had to pull the rt side of the Oceans 5 forward so I could reach the sausage. I also added O rings (round key ring holders) to the knife holder holes. This was for attaching anything that I wanted to carry. Definitely like the RR more.

Just back from my trip to Cozumel. The BC worked great. But in comparison to the Reef Rider, I like the Reef Rider more. I really need the pockets and the D rings that the RR has. For Drift diving, I carry my own safety sausage and I had to attach it to the plastic D ring on the right side weight pocket. I had to pull the rt side of the Oceans 5 forward so I could reach the sausage. I also added O rings (round key ring holders) to the knife holder holes. This was for attaching anything that I wanted to carry. Definitely like the RR more.

Thom, do you have a picture of these "key rings" that you rigged to the knife grommets. I'm curious to see how you attached your retractors to it?

Sorry I don't have pix. I just opened up the key rings and put them on the knife mounting holes,(try to get brass it won't rust). I attached another caribeaner(sp) to the cloth on the right shoulder to attach my light on a retractor.
I have seen another Oceans 5 bc with an aeris weight pouch (just like one from a tank band) attached to the belly band and it seemed to work real well.

Reef Rider is a great BC. Best features, back inflation. Two good usable pockets. Large enough for a small housed camera. Just a little weight, one pund each side on the tank band and you float upright at the surface. Packs well, etc. Plastice D rings are a little funky but once you get it set up the way you want a non-issue. Can be had (at one time) for a fabulous close out price. Now sold as Oceanic Islander at twice the price?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom