Reef Rods -- Reef safe? Environmentally friendly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Valhalla, typical human nature dictates that if one has a stick, he or she will use it for his/her convenience tossing aside responsibility most of the time. The main reason why gloves are prohibited in most marine sanctuaries is because most divers with gloves are tempted to touch just about anything they can get their hands on without regard for their personal safety or the well-being of the marine life being harassed. A stick, rod, gloves, and even an SUV can give one a sense of power that can be easily abused.

"With power comes great responsibiity!" - Uncle Ben (to Peter Parker) ;-)

Unless hunting (spearfisherman/lobster, etc. is in play the arugment against gloves is highly persuasive...

I recently bought one.. It has a full loop on the "top" end which I zip tied to my camera base plate. I cut it down to use as a monopod specifically for macro in Monterey, CA. I haven't used it yet as my bouyancy isn't nearly good enough for real photography yet. I attached it to the plate just to prevent me from being tempted to use it for other purposes.... last think I need is another crutch to prevent me from learning proper skills.

Anything can be abused.. lets hope there are more rational divers using them as opposed to jerks.

When I first saw these I was pretty undecided.

...Now, after having seen the destruction caused by these rods, I believe they are worse than a diver with gloves.

With gloves, at least your hand is inside, and you worry a little bit about what you're touching. With the rod, it's not a part of your body, so it's used to chivy wildlife, poke into crevaces, stick into the reef willy-nilly (live coral or dead), and even (I watched a local DM do this) to carve their initials into coral heads.

Even on dives where people were desperately plunging them into the reef because of current, a little bit of skillz made it easy to duck into the lee of a coral head and easily stay put.

All the best, James

I find that very hard to believe! But if true he could have done it easier with his knife! Again Guns don't kill people, but there is always someone willing too tell someone else how to live their life! Ignorance is the only excuse I guess!

I think fins should be outlawed especially split fins! I have seen divers right in front of a DM break coral off with one kick of a split fin! Very sad, but fins are no more than a crutch!

Used the right way as with all tools it save reefs, hands, pictures, and a thousand other real life uses!

I have thousands of them world wide and on Edmounds Sports blog in Austria it is the top ten item to have for divers! The DC harbor patrol uses them as well as DMs and Photographers around the world!

Any SB member who orders one will get a rebate of the shipping with any order! Once you get your hands on Reeds Rod you won't let go!

You seem knowledgable on the subject. Have any information for the folks how to acquire?

Just sent you a PM with a link to someone's website that sells these rods. I have no personal or business interests with people who sell or manufacture these rods. I just received a PM from one such manufacturer who liked what I said about these rods. It is just my belief that rods of the correct length are useful dive tools. Are they essential, no, but it is a 'nice to have' tool if you have one handy. Whenever I encounter irresponsible people using these rods to harass marine life, I get very upset and angry. I do make it a point of telling them to stop :no: before I swim off.

Phil

I find that very hard to believe! But if true he could have done it easier with his knife! Again Guns don't kill people, but there is always someone willing too tell someone else how to live their life! Ignorance is the only excuse I guess!

I think fins should be outlawed especially split fins! I have seen divers right in front of a DM break coral off with one kick of a split fin! Very sad, but fins are no more than a crutch!

Used the right way as with all tools it save reefs, hands, pictures, and a thousand other real life uses!

I have thousands of them world wide and on Edmounds Sports blog in Austria it is the top ten item to have for divers! The DC harbor patrol uses them as well as DMs and Photographers around the world!

Any SB member who orders one will get a rebate of the shipping with any order! Once you get your hands on Reeds Rod you won't let go!

Have you ever finished a sentence without an ! point? Just curious really.

Why YES I have! Ever since I used to shot touch and goes at John Wayne in Santa Ana's!!!!!

Hmmm....my theory is to touch nothing, ever. But I would change this if I were going to a high current, totally rocky area, where I needed to anchor myself.

I have seen these used in Cozumel, mainly as a tank banger, and to point stuff out. But never touching the reef. Any touch of live coral kills some of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom