Reef Rods -- Reef safe? Environmentally friendly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like any tool, they can be used or bused.

Isn't the issue more about the numb-rods using the rods, than the rod itself? Take away their rods and they be jamming a knife or something else into the reef, I'd guess.

Exactly. No use getting worked up about it, poor skills will result in damage, regardless of what they have in their hands.

Hey! I don't want to go back and edit this whole thread but I've removed some off-topic posts on this last page. Peeps, this is in the Basic SCUBA Discussion forum, please keep things on topic otherwise hit the PUB. :)

Cheers!​

I wouldn't call it an equipment solution to a skills problem if you're using it as a tickle stick to scare up lobster or other creatures hiding under ledges.

Looks like I found a use for my old J-valve rods! :)

I wonder which causes more damage each year: oblivious divers with rods or oblivious divers with snares?
This diver appears to have both and a hand net. The biggest potential for damage I see in the pic is the tank.
photoadrianlobsterbyjulie.jpg

:angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob:
I've heard of divers plowing their scooters in to the bottom or a wall, that's gotta leave a mark. Fins have to be the worst, though.

I'm repeating myself and others, but... It's about the diver, not the tool.

I think they aren't safe. Learn buoyancy control don't get training wheels for it, its not the hardest thing in the world. I don't think they're reef safe because you can break any piece of coral with that then you would with your hands/fins/etc. I know that within months of using them, everyone will have them and use them like reptile rods in the rainforest, poking lobsters out, bringing octopus out of the HIDING spots, these organisms hide for a reason when divers come through.

I wonder which causes more damage each year: oblivious divers with rods or oblivious divers with snares?
This diver appears to have both and a hand net. The biggest potential for damage I see in the pic is the tank.
photoadrianlobsterbyjulie.jpg

:angrymob::angrymob::angrymob::angrymob:
I've heard of divers plowing their scooters in to the bottom or a wall, that's gotta leave a mark. Fins have to be the worst, though.

I'm repeating myself and others, but... It's about the diver, not the tool.

Not even close! The lobster hunter no doubt has excellent bouyancy skills. Looks like a diver making the transition from the tickle stick/net to the snare. Appears to be doing well. :wink:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom