Reef Swim-Through Dangers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently returned from Cozumel where I received my AOW and had a dozen more dives afterwards. On quite a few dives, the DM led us through reef swim-throughs that were quite narrow with several twists and turns. On one particular dive, there was no "light at the end of the tunnel" until we were half way through. I noticed several divers banging into the coral and if you were the last one in line, you were swimming through silt. I am fairly comfortable with my bouyancy skills, but I' far from expert.

I felt this had some of the dangers of cave diving (i.e. limited visibility, opportunities to make a wrong turn, no place to turn around, overhead obstructions etc.)

Is this a common practice?
Question 1- Does having no light make it a cave?
Question 2- Have you received cave training?

Comment 1- After answering those two, whether or not it's common practice is irrelevant, its either safe or it's not.

Get to the head of the line and your worries are over.

Question 1- Does having no light make it a cave?
Question 2- Have you received cave training?

Comment 1- After answering those two, whether or not it's common practice is irrelevant, its either safe or it's not.

Not sure how to answer Question 1. I think having no light would make it a cave. However, a "cave" doesn't need to be pitch black IMO.

Question 2 - I have had no cave training whatsoever.

Several of the divers I observed during my stay obviously had bouyancy control issues. There was a lot of arm waving to try to control depth, colliding with other divers and/or coral, etc.

As a new diver, I depend on the DM to accurately assess my abilities and not place me in a position of jeopardy. After all, I'm paying him for his expertise. If I'm to rely on my judgement alone, the DM is little more than a tour guide.

As a new diver, I depend on the DM to accurately assess my abilities and not place me in a position of jeopardy. After all, I'm paying him for his expertise. If I'm to rely on my judgement alone, the DM is little more than a tour guide.

Actually that is pretty much what resort DM's are, tour guides. Unless you have hired one to be your buddy, don't expect them to interview you, judge your skills, and make the dive more appropriate to your skill level. They have the entire group to watch over, and in many cases are more worried about the tip at the end of the dive than how much air you have.

DM's come in handy in a couple of areas.

1- they know where the cool not to mobile stuff like seahorses and frogfish hang out.
2- they can navigate the sites where navigation is required, ie a broken up wreck where you can't see one piece from another.
3- if it is a drift and a float must be dragged along, the DM has it.
4- the divers with little experience, or who don't dive very often stay close to the DM and myself and my buddies are free to dive pretty much apart from the main group.

As for your safety on the dive, that is up to you, ultimately. Only you know your experience, comfort, and limits. Be honest with the DM and if the briefing calls for something you do not want to do, speak up.

But please, don't ever "assume" in diving...:wink:

Yeah... i agree. DM like to take divers through them but i dont think it is the best idea. It kills a ton of coral because most people are not ready yet!

krbailey:
I recently returned from Cozumel where I received my AOW and had a dozen more dives afterwards. On quite a few dives, the DM led us through reef swim-throughs that were quite narrow with several twists and turns.

Then they were caverns, not swim throughs.

krbailey:
On one particular dive, there was no "light at the end of the tunnel" until we were half way through.

Unless you could always see either the entrance or the exit, it was a cave, not a cavern.

krbailey:
I noticed several divers banging into the coral and if you were the last one in line, you were swimming through silt. I am fairly comfortable with my bouyancy skills, but I' far from expert.

Merely one of the dangers of caves and caverns, especially when diving with folks who are not skilled enough to avoid stirring up silt.

krbailey:
I felt this had some of the dangers of cave diving (i.e. limited visibility, opportunities to make a wrong turn, no place to turn around, overhead obstructions etc.)

Then why did you allow yourself to be put in such a position? I can understand you doing it once out of ignorance, but once you experienced it once, you should have known better and declinded to endanger yourself on "quite a few dives."

krbailey:
Is this a common practice?

Yes.

While a lot of swim-thrus may technically classify as a cavern or cave, I really would not consider them as such. In a cavern or cave, there is (generally) one entry and one exit. If you lose your lights or lose the line in a silt-out, then you are in danger of not finding your way out. In a coral swim-through, in most cases you can press ahead and you will pop out somewhere. Not always the case, but in general this is true. If you have decent bouyancy and trim, basic awareness, and a good head on your shoulders, your judgement should inform you whether or not it is a good idea. Personally, I have no problem with them.

Now, add into the mix a boat full of resort-OW divers. In my experience a lot of these people are not qualified to dive in open water, let alone an overhead. Stuffing a bunch of these folks into a swim-thru can get hairy. You don't know how these people will react to reduced vis, a tight spot, claustophobia, etc. The last place I want to be in sandwiched in the middle during in a swim-through. I'll go in first or I'll let the crowd thin and follow at the end. No offense to Johnny OW, but if I have an emergency I know what to do and I don't want a clueless and panicked diver delaying my exit.

In the end, nobody is holding a gun to your head. You can go in, or you can pass. Just be aware of the situation and the potential hazards (including other divers), but make the decision and don't just follow blindly.

History seems to indicate they are reasonably safe. But, logically it is clear that they are an added danger.

I prefer the DMs who offer the full menu so I can pick and choose what I want. We often pass on the swim-throughs as more interesting things are usually on the outside.

I have to agree with others. I'm claustrophobic. I don't do enclosed areas.

Last June, I did a couple of the more open "swim throughs" during our first few dives. My SAC rate doubled. I quit doing the swim throughs.

While the others were swimming through the "sterile" passages, I managed to make wonderful finds including a turtle that insisted on getting face to face with me for a wonderful "chat".

Thank you, but I'll pass onthe swim throughs from now on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom