Referral course cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well is it cheaper in Oahu ? i just heard Maui is wildest than other islands and i'm not a big fan of big cities but if the difference in services prices is huge i can change my plans. Any good cheap diveshops in Oahu you can recommend ? I plan to go again in hawaii anyway (Thanks guys for the reco of ED and Doug )

How cheap are you looking to get? $250 is pretty cheap. 4 shore dives would run you that much without the instruction...

I plan to stay in bananabungalow hostel and rent a moped from there to get to kihei unless you guys knows a hostel in kihei for the early mornings.

---------- Post added January 13th, 2015 at 10:41 AM ----------

i think 250$ is good.

All the hostels are in Wailuku. Except the one in Lahaina (Last Resort) which is still a long drive to Kihei. One thing about it is that you could stay/eat/dive in Lahaina with Lahaina Divers - it's all within walking distance. The trade-off is they get $350 for Referral dives but they're all done off their boat in the afternoons. And there's 1/2 dozen nearby shore dives if you find a buddy. Maui Dive Shop(s) rent tanks and sell fill cards.

i just heard Maui is wildest than other islands and i'm not a big fan of big cities
Probably don't want Oahu then. They have real traffic jams there daily. And the shore dive sites are spread out all over the island - many of the dive operators are near Honolulu/Waikiki since that's where most of their business is fron. Check with a couple though as they're used to picking divers up so they may for classes/referral dives also - IDK. No idea about hostels there - I've only spent one day there ever.

If you haven't noticed, flights to Honolulu run about $200-250 less than direct to Maui also.

Wildest is probably Kauai. The hostels are in Kapaa - north of Lihue Airport. Seasport Divers has a shop in Kapaa about 2 blocks south of them. They get $275 for referrals. It's also a populated enough area to have an assortment of markets, restaurants etc. I dive with their other location in Poipu - the 2nd best shore dive is at Koloa Landing about a 5min. drive away. They don't keep a boat in Kapaa and do teach at Koloa Landing - I've seen their van there. I don't know if that means you have to get there yourself (20 minute drive) or if they have somewhere local. The nearest place I know of - Ahukini Landing - is now closed to divers.

Kauai will be a more expensive flight than even Maui though. But it's much "wilder". Many places you're still the only one on the road except for around the port/airport or popular beach areas.

Another consideration could be Kona. The hostel there - Patey's - is in town. Drove right by it once downtown. (no I didn't remember the name, just the location) Check with Jack's Diving Locker - they're in town on Alii Drive - you could walk there. The large Kona food markets would be 2-3 blocks from Patey's to the north. Kona Airport is about a $40 cab ride though. There's a shuttle that runs thru town then down Alii Drive to Keahou 5 miles away. Jack's probably teaches at Kona/Kailua Pier - it's a good dive plus walking distance from their shop. Or there's a site a little north of town. If they teach at one of the south sites, the shuttle could be an option - it goes right by MM#4 and Pahoehoe Beach Park - both are dive sites.

From Phoenix either Kona or Maui are direct and price around the same. But we have the USAir hub here so they compete with the LAX-based Hawaii carriers. You might look at Southwest or Spirit then changing carriers here if that's any cheaper? Although with the USAir/AA merger I'm not sure of that either - haven't been to Hawaii since then - it's possible everything routes thru LAX also now.

hth, was bored this morning...

Just for comparison sake.....

Oahu has at least 4 or 5 hostels in Waikiki. Seaside Hostel, Hosteling International, Polynesian Beach Club Hostel just to name a few. Our referral price is $325 and includes all gear and 4 tanks off the boat as well as transportation to and from Waikiki. I'm sure you could price shop a bit on Oahu operators but I feel like doing 2 days of boat diving (4 tanks total) and working with our thorough, patient and knowledgable staff is worth the price tag.

Hope you get the experience you desire and are able to come back in the future to enjoy the charms of all of our islands!

G

Wouaw thanks "diversteve" for your detailed message. I'm getting excited. Good think with the banana bungalow hostel is that they organized free tours every day and its included in the price you pay, i think is a good deal as i'll discover the island with people who know the place.
I'm coming from northern canada its FREAKING COLD here but the good the good think is i don't pay for air fares (my luck) so i'll definitely visit all the islands over the next few years, and do some great dives.

For the people who dove with ED and Doug is it always at 6:30am ? cuz if i have to drive from wailuku it will take me some time to get there by moped lol

Going by Soba's response above they indicated the Referral dive group met at 6:30AM at Ulua. Which is in Wailea just south of Kihei. At that time you may be sharing the one major road with locals going to work also. Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Ulua Beach of Maui, Hawaiian Islands

Capture.jpg

Doug probably has more flexibility in scheduling - and possibly a smaller group also since he works for himself out of his dive bus. I don't know what his minimum diver count for referrals is. http://shakadivers.com/

One advantage to that area is there's quite a few shore dives nearby - #'s 11-19 Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands South of there you need a jeep, not a scooter.

Some of the sites like Makena are popular so you should be able to find divers to buddy with. I also do really well at Wailea Beach - the parking lot is full by 8AM and it's not a great beach. With a buddy you might be able to do some of those. You need to tow a dive flag out also - just tie it to some convenient dead thing near where you're diving - in the Kihei area they check occasionally.

Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei used to have a buddy sign-up sheet - might call them b4 you go and get put on it if they still do. Possibly Maui Dive Shop does also. Stop by one of their locations, they have a good shore dive map/instructions. There's two in Kihei
http://www.mauidiveshop.com/MDS-Details/locations.htm

Have a good referral trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom