Refresher after a few years

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A mentor is the best option. A refresher will be better than nothing if you can't find a mentor. The issue with refreshers is that you may not get something that helps you. Some refreshers simply consist of reviewing 20 skills in the pool and you're done. That may not be very helpful. If you do go with a refresher make sure you interview the shop/instructor and find out exactly what you are getting.

I'm not a big believer in "refresher" scuba classes if, for no other reason, than too often they aren't "refreshing" anything of importance since:

a. They tend to be 20 item checkoffs; and

b. The most important skills (i.e., good trim and buoyancy control) weren't all that solid to begin with.

OP -- you write that you are PADI AOW and have about 60 dives but haven't been diving in 4 years. OK, over what period of time did you do those 60 dives? Were they done where you now plan to dive (in particular, if done in warm water and you are now planning cold water)? Really, how good were your skills when you were diving -- and in particular, your trim and buoyancy control?

Please, go talk to your LDS and the instructor(s) there to discuss what they think you should do, why they think so and what they plan to have you do.

IF all you've done is OW and AOW, then instead of a "refresher" -- how about a Peak Performance Buoyancy Specialty class or some such -- but make sure it includes at least one confined water session to help get you back in the swim of things.

At 4 years out of the water, I'd almost suggest you do OW again -- especially with the new PADI Open Water program with its emphasis on buoyancy control -- AND make sure the instructor does it!

Anyway, that's my two cents and worth every penny you've paid for it.

A few years ago we did a one night refresher course at our LDS because we hadn't gone diving in about five years and were headed to Cozumel on vacation. We reread our OW PADI book before the refresher.

We had all of our own equipment so we didn't rent anything. I sure was glad we got into the pool because there were things I'd forgotten (like how to put my regulator on the tank :dork2: ), the amount of weight I needed to use, how to become neutrally buoyant, etc. I was much more confident about getting into the water in Cozumel knowing how to work my gear, how to clear my ears, etc. Refresher course, pool practice....whatever you do will make your first real dive since 2009 a better one than if you just jump in with no relearning. Happy Bubbles!

Taking a PADI refresher couse ins convenient and it includes good concise review materials which is better than scanning your OW and AOW materials. [snip]

I wasn't aware that the refresher did offer materials. I was always under the impression it was just get back in the water and demonstrate the OW skills again.

they're quite expensive in Australia (sydney $200+) so for that I've always considered them a waste of money in comparison to going on group dives and requesting to be buddied with the DM organising it.

When I got back in the water after a few years away I did a pool refresher. It was NOT enough. I think doing a pool refresher and an open water dive as bare minimum. I ended up redoing the full ow water course again (my lds charged me $10 a class) and felt a lot better about my skills.

Only a couple of folks briefly mentioned reviewing the academics. Obviously, just re-reading stuff is not a substitute for the practical review ideas many have mentioned. But it sure can't hurt. I re-read all of my manuals (not in detail) -- a tiny bit each day. As well, there are now a number of videos available (at least PADI ones) online which show the skills being demonstrated. Doing this kind of studying before doing a Scuba Review or meeting with a mentor would give you a big leg up.

Back
Top Bottom