Reg breathes too dry???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the input. It looks like there really isn't a consensus as far as a solution.

Regulators with metal second stages do not produce as much "dry mouth" sensation.

N

I've never noticed dry mouth while diving. Maybe it just doesn't bother me. But I am usually ready for a small swig of water between & after dives. Peeing in wetsuit after drinking much water is not allowed at all. If need be, rig up an external catheter, but beware they usually don't work while in the water for a couple of physics reasons.
Did you mean dry suit?

Thanks for all the input. It looks like there really isn't a consensus as far as a solution.
I think most get over it in short enough time. As suggested, carry some juice packs if you want to.

As you knew and others have confirmed you breathing air is very very dry and you are losing hydration with every breath. You can combat this to some extent by making sure you are well hydrated.

In any cases that alone will not suffice, especially as your dives get longer. When you feel that dry sensation coming on start thinking of a favorite food, pizza works for me. As saliva builds in your mouth remove your regulator and swish the saliva around and then you can swallow it down your throat as you retake your regulator. This can bring surprising relief.

New plastic regulators are most prone to this problem. older metal case second stages act as condensers and will recycle some of your exhaled moisture. Good serviceable metal second stages from the likes of USD, ScubaPro.... are easy to find.

Sherwood gets around this on the Oasis model (clever name) by adding a metal condenser fin inside a plastic body second stage. The Blizzard and Maximus models have comparable fins.

Lastly a double hose regulator can accommodate a little water in the sump of the mouthpiece. This does a nice job of delivering some hydration to your airway.

Apollo does have an inline moisture delivery device but that seems like a PITA and injecting moisture into the deliver side just doesn't set well with a cold water diver.

Pete

This is a very useful info. I just got the said Oasis. THANKS.

Application of technology through the purchase of shiny objects bearing serial numbers
is more gratifying than consuming any amount of bottled fancy drinking water
or simply sucking on the end of a garden hose.

You may quote me on that.

Application of technology through the purchase of shiny objects bearing serial numbers
is more gratifying than consuming any amount of bottled fancy drinking water
or simply sucking on the end of a garden hose.
Sucking on hard candy during SIs is sweeter.

I've never noticed dry mouth while diving. Maybe it just doesn't bother me. But I am usually ready for a small swig of water between & after dives. Peeing in wetsuit after drinking much water is not allowed at all. If need be, rig up an external catheter, but beware they usually don't work while in the water for a couple of physics reasons.

Mine must have missed that lesson.

I just make sure I hydrate well before diving. The amount of moisture you loose through breathing dry air is surprisingly large, larger than the area of a tennis court and water is evaporating from the lung with each breath. That is the source of water that can ice up a diver's reg when doing cold water dives. Needless to say, it would almost hard to over hydrate before a dive. I usually drink a liter of water before the dive, knowing I will lose a lot of fluids breathing air off the tank. I find I seldom need to wet my suit if I do the bulk of my hydration within about 20 minutes of going in the water. I drink more water after the dive and usually don't have to worry about it for the second tank.

Back
Top Bottom