Reg mouthpiece causing pain...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can buy just the Atomic mouthpiece and put it on any reg (I have a Scubapro reg). That's what I did. I think it should only cost you $40 or so. If you are tinkering, maybe you might consider putting on the Atomic swivel too. Another adjustment I made to mine that I like, but it will set you back over $100.

My question: Is there some type of replacement mouthpiece that I can put on my Titan LX? I like how the Atomic mouthpiece on my octo just fits in between my teeth and there is no upper part to it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I agree with this, it's exactly what I did with all my Scubapro regs (10 of them.) I thought the Scubapro standard mouthpieces were cheap.

Even better, Phil at Divesports.com sells a mouthpiece that as far as I can tell is an exact copy of the Atomic model (if not the same thing period,) for a very, very good price. It even comes in assorted colors. You can find it here:

Innovative Scuba Comfort Cushion Mouthpiece - Colored Mouthpieces - Comfort Cushion Mouthpiece

I find this to be a very comfortable mouthpiece. It's a different direction from the Seacure, which I didn't like because I once had to use someone else's, but it may very well solve your problem like it did mine.

You can buy just the Atomic mouthpiece and put it on any reg (I have a Scubapro reg). That's what I did. I think it should only cost you $40 or so. If you are tinkering, maybe you might consider putting on the Atomic swivel too. Another adjustment I made to mine that I like, but it will set you back over $100.

You can buy just the Atomic mouthpiece and put it on any reg (I have a Scubapro reg). That's what I did. I think it should only cost you $40 or so.

More like $14, not $40.

i also switched the comfo-bite on my aqualung regs to the atomic and would never go back ... now if only i had the regs to match the mouthpieces

I had a SeaCURE on my Scubapro reg and I loved it. I just tried out my Atomic with the standard mouthpiece and I did not care for it. The reg felt like there was a constant force trying to pull it from my mouth. I just ordered a new SeaCure for the Atomic because I find the SeaCURE so comfortable, it is effortless to keep the reg in my mouth forever (almost) with no fatigue at all. The SeaCURE mouthpiece just feels more substantial and is not soft/flimsy so there is no wiggle or tugging during use. YMMV.

If you like the Atomic mouthpiece, my understanding is that this one is basically the same mouthpiece:

Buy Innovative Comfort Cushion Rubber Mouthpiece RB-0376/0372 and other scuba diving gear at scuba.com

I have this mouthpiece in a regulator that I use occasionally (when I am working in our pond to kill invasive aquatic plants) and I find it is a very comfortable mouthpiece.

While I have tried this mouthpiece and it is great for it's design. Although diving in strenuous enviroments with it is not a great idea. (Diving +100 ft). The pressure at this depth actually began to make the little bit of jaw fatigue I was experiencing worse.

I agree with this, it's exactly what I did with all my Scubapro regs (10 of them.) I thought the Scubapro standard mouthpieces were cheap.

Even better, Phil at Divesports.com sells a mouthpiece that as far as I can tell is an exact copy of the Atomic model (if not the same thing period,) for a very, very good price. It even comes in assorted colors. You can find it here:

Innovative Scuba Comfort Cushion Mouthpiece - Colored Mouthpieces - Comfort Cushion Mouthpiece

I find this to be a very comfortable mouthpiece. It's a different direction from the Seacure, which I didn't like because I once had to use someone else's, but it may very well solve your problem like it did mine.

These are the previously mentioned mouthpieces that can be bought from Innovative Scuba Concepts. They retail between $7-9.

Ok, I have a new concept for anyone to grasp. I would love you to know if anyone has come across this same problem.

I also have the Sherwood Wisdom mouthpiece. (The big 'ol honkin one!) It is absolutely my FAVORITE mouthpiece, large and comfortable! The only problem is that I seem to be allergic to it!!! I have called Peter Skop Industries (my local Sherwood supplier --> I have that ability since I am in SCUBA retail) and have spoken with EVERYONE about the materials and make of this mouthpiece. The company has also never heard of someone having an allergic reaction to the mouthpieces.. I don't get it, what can be so different about it that I have allergy to it?

My lip swells, I get sores (that looklike cold sores/fever blisters) these sores stay for a few days after I dive and go away. I have taken even the most potent cold sore meds and they do not clear them, but if I take antihistimines they clear. There is no difference in the make of these mouthpieces compared to others. They ARE silicone; not rubber. Nothing is done differently. I can use the "el-cheapo" mouthpieces without a problem, but the problem is that ARE NOT COMFORTABLE. I have tried Innovative's large selection of mouthpieces, but have yet to find one just as comfortable. I have shyed away from using the black silicone mouthpieces; even though I have used the cheap ones before and they have never produced an allergic reaction.

I have found that I do enjoy the new "Gel-Cell" mouthpieces from Innovative; unlike the Sea-Cure mouthpieces they remold instantly to form to your teeth; you don't have to leave your jaw sitting in the same position for long periods of time. The only thing that I wish was different was for them to be longer.. like the Sherwood Wisdom. I have recently learned that Trident Diving Products offers a clear version of the Sherwood wisdom, I think I will try the other.

And yes, last but not least, I have tried the Comfo-Bite, but with my Sherwood Maximus, it does not fit. Maybe I will try the new sport model.

Anyone has heard of these bizarre events before, please let me know..

While I have tried this mouthpiece and it is great for it's design. Although diving in strenuous enviroments with it is not a great idea. (Diving +100 ft). The pressure at this depth actually began to make the little bit of jaw fatigue I was experiencing worse.

I guess preference is what makes the word go around and a mouthpiece's comfort is certainly a subjective preference - to each his own. However, the point about depth doesn't make sense to me. I don't know your history or experience level so I ask this in sincerity - are you sure you weren't biting down harder yourself, maybe feeling more stress as you went deeper?

I ask because I have used them quite a few times below 200', and I never noticed the pressure having any effect on the mouthpiece, which I have found comfortable in all environments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom