Regs on airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllenG,

If it was me flying, I would do the following. Contact the Miami Airport Police at 305 876 7373 and speak to them. If they can not help you, ask who you could speak to that is in charge of the airport security. Talk to that person, and tell them your situation. If they say it is ok to carry them on, get their name. Ask them who you can speak to at security if you have any problems. Take their name, and phone number, with you through security. If you are given any hassles, ask to speak to the person that they told you, or have the agent contact them personally. Make sure you do so in a VERY polite manner, as these "security" agents think they now have some power, and are not afraid to use it.

I am trying to locate the security number for you. If I can find it, I will post it.

Allen,

I've carryied my gear through Miami security 4 times since 9/11. With the exception of the last flight, it's not quick and hassle free but I've gotten through each time. The Miami airport was the place where one of the security supervisors saw my reg on the xray and said "Oh that's a regulator for scuba diving" and did NOT require me to open my bag. (I WAS picked out for "RANDOM" search before boarding the plane however.)

You're in CT. Are you transferring planes in Miami? If so, you'll already be through security when you hit the Miami airport, won't you?

Originally posted by AllenG
In that regard, does anybody (1) have first hand experience re the current practices at Miami International Airport,

In the mean time, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who can tell me what Miami's security guards have been doing. I understand that an airport policy doesn't necessarily preclude a stupid response by an individual security guard. And I believe it was Einstein who said, "the only things that may be infinite are the universe and stupidity, and I have my doubts about the universe."

I gutted an old hard sided brief case for use as a regulator bag. With a little disassembly (detach a few hoses from 1sts), it easily holds 4 sets. It raises eyebrows & inspectors as it goes thru x-ray but no real problem yet (Austin, Houston, & Cozumel). If it is disallowed, at least it should provide good protection in checked baggage.

I've heard on more than one occaision of people moaning that their computer has locked out after it has been in the hold - so how does that work then?

I only tend to take the first stage on the plane with me now - mainly because of the really low weight allowances in checked in luggage in Europe - 20 - 30kg. The problem with the regs is as you would hope they show up as a solid block on the x-ray. However, I have never met a guard (yet) who does not take it further when they realise what it is by T shirts or simple explanation

Cheers
Jonathan

Big James - Thanks for the initial lead re Miami Airport police. Any further #s re the actual airport security company will be greatly appreciated.

RaviePoo - Thanks for the info re your experience. Re already being past security when connecting in Miami, several factors necessitate passing back and forth through security:
- Per my local airline ticket counter workers, airlines can no longer transfer your baggage to an international carrier when the baggage arrives at a connecting city. You therefore have to pass back into the main concourse and eventually face a new security crew.
- The concourse you arrive at is never the one you connect through (I would swear that it must have been established as a law!).
-I fly out of Hartford, a non-hub airport (with complete seriousness, a travel agent once explained to me that Hartford has no direct flights to anywhere - if you think about it for a second, the lack of logic will suddenly hit you!). Because of limited Hartford-Miami connections and only one good Miami-Roatan connection, one gets stuck with a 4-6 hour layover at Miami airport, an experience that makes a sensory deprivation tank seem stimulating! Pursuit of food, drink, or something to do invariably leads you to roam the main concourse. And the main concourse is a great place to people watch and to drink Cuban coffee!

Re Jonathan's reply - these reports of computer lock-out is what seems to sustain the advice re carrying gear in the pressurized cabin. To that end, can anyone offer direct personal experience in this regard (or are we dealing with an urban legend wherein "oh yeah, that's happened to me, well, actually, my brother-in-law who doesn't dive told me about how a co-worker's girlfriend . . . )

I concur with Big James. I had a similar experience on my return flight from Cancun last Feb. The airport security would not even let me carry my reg and computer over to the check in counter. They searched my bag, told me it was a weapon or could be used as such because it contained mercury. How little do they know. Any way I was allowed to put it into my luggage and check it. I did have a problem later with my computer on my next dive. But I have been told that it was not related to being in the cargo hold.

The only thing I carry on anymore is my laptop & power cord, a book and my wrist mount computer. I am looking into equipment insurance - I would hope they would cover lost luggage - I'll have to check into that.....

over all group here and say carry them on. They are way to costly to be sent with your checked luggage. And I am sure you have some other items you carry on.

Rich :mean:

I've never had a problem with customs regarding my reg, but I haven't flown with my gear post 9/11.

I have been hassled about my camera at least three times. Once in Mexico, where the customs guy told me, "Looked like a gun on the X-ray" and pointed to the camera tray and strobe arm. Once I was hassled in Houston, where they insisted on opening up the camera, then looked through it and the case thoroughly-even checking to see if everything worked, and once in Miami. In Miami I go the "full treatment" (humiliating), which meant I missed my connecting flight and had to spend the night. Both times, in Houston and Miami, I suspected I was profiled for drugs, not weapons. (Geez. I have a beard, I like Panama hats and I have that "look", I reckon. I don't do drugs. I'm VERY law abiding and very conservative).

As for pressure problems in the hold: There used to be an issue with flying on some of the older analog and non altitude compensating deco computers. Altitude changes, even those experienced in pressurized aircraft cabins, could effect their calibrations or put them "out of range".

My old computer even had a case that was pressure sealed for flying and I was specifically warned that flying with it "unprotected" could harm it or make it inaccurate. However, modern computers are altitude compensated and retain their calibrations beyond the pressure altitudes experience in modern aircraft. I don't think putting this equipment in the cabin or in the hold would pose a much of a risk (beyond the normal risk of having some idiot throw your stuff around).

UW cameras, like the Nikonos V, are probably not pressure sensitive either, but I take precautions anyway. I remove the o-ring in the backplate (door). I then close it up in my Pelican case, which has a pressure sealing gasket and bleed valve.

The pressure changes will likely do no harm, but i worry a bit about internal o-rings getting "unseated" or "upset" with any positive pressure differential that might build up in the camera.

Regulators, however, should be entirely impervious to pressure changes experienced in an aircraft.

and as for the new Politically Correct policy for passenger body searches, "Give me a break."

On my last flight to Austin, a 6'1" beautiful redhead, about 18 or 19 and a matronly old black woman in her 60's were pulled aside for "wanding" at the gate. I wish I had a camera, because in the background were two young Middle Eastern men who were having a good laugh.

You get hit in the face a few times by a man wearing a red jacket, then you should pay particular attention to men in red jackets. That doesn't mean a man in a blue jacke can't hurt you. It simply means you watch out for the red jackets.

Allen,

Having flown out of Miami, I might shed some light.

Any and all bags that had any dive equip. were opened and hand inspected, including the check on. I carried two sets of regs. with computers in my carry on , and after inspect., no problem.
However, they did question my wife's camera strobe arm as a posible club, but did allow it. One thing, once they have opened your bag on the table DO NOT reach for it. These people are semi-literate hamburger flippers and do have the POWER to make your life miserable. Allow enough time between flts. for the security insp. We flew American to Curacao this first week of June. Leaving Curacao all bags were hand inspected but the security seemed to be much more familiar with diving equipment and were efficient.

Back
Top Bottom