Regulator and LDS issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you posted something on the Mares forum? Zak O'Hara is generally very quick to post a reply. Not sure how they go with resolutions but something might work out if you give them a chance to fix it for you. I'm sure they don't want to lose a customer when one of their dealers might have let you down. Perhaps remind them you're a 10-year Mares man about to convert to Scubapro because your LDS can't fix an Abyss that you loved.

Lots of questions:
1 When the purge is pressed on the Scubapro Octo, it would free flow to the point where it will blow dry your hair, until you plug the mouthpiece.
2 The 15 y/o reg was a Mares MR12S. Can't remember what the second stage was. The valve in that second, they said couldn't be rebuilt. It was my old regulator that my g/f had been using.
3 The proton's exhaust tee broke off, and after that was when I noticed the mesh was busted on the cover. I decided to just replace it.
4 The IP was checked. 145 PSI
5 The free flow issues with the previous service didn't concern me, but coupled with selling me the octo with holes in the diaphragm and the issues with my current reg, I am concerned. I am waiting to hear what they find with it.

I have been diving Mares regulators for over 15 years. I have bought four different Mares regs over that time. (My son and his g/f have the other two.) Before that, my first reg was a Sherwood. I bought my g/f that Aqualung Legend, it was the first non-Mares that I have bought in that 15 year span, and I am impressed with it.

I would add that I know the manager of the shop well, and we hang out often. We dive together and occasionally go drinking together. The regulator repair guy works out of the shop for the absentee owner, doesn't work for the manager, and has done some pretty shady things that I will put in another post in the appropriate forum. I get along with the service guy, and I want to stay loyal to the shop because we are all friends, but this issue may cause me to take my business elsewhere.

Lots of questions:
1 When the purge is pressed on the Scubapro Octo, it would free flow to the point where it will blow dry your hair, until you plug the mouthpiece.

Does it have an adjustment for "+ & -" or "Pre-Dive & Dive"?

Does it have an adjustment for "+ & -" or "Pre-Dive & Dive"?

He said earlier it was a R095, so the answer is no. The venturi effect is set by the tech like in a R295. The freeflow is normal for a primary but I don't think a secondary should do that.

Thanks for the helpful clarifications.
IOW, it free flows only when the purge is pressed? That sounds like a second stage adjustment issue, not a first stage problem.
2 The 15 y/o reg was a Mares MR12S. Can't remember what the second stage was. The valve in that second, they said couldn't be rebuilt. It was my old regulator that my g/f had been using.
So, they couldn't service the second stage? Fair enough. I had to replace second stage on my older Mares MR12 as well because the housing cracked, and was no longer available. But, the first stage still works quite well, and service kits are still readily available. Hopefully you held onto your old first stage.
3 The proton's exhaust tee broke off, and after that was when I noticed the mesh was busted on the cover. I decided to just replace it.
Makes perfect sense. You got good service, and your money's worth, out of it.
4 The IP was checked. 145 PSI
OK, maybe I misunderstood your OP - I thought the shop had determined that there was a problem with the first stage? If the IP was 145 and stable, there shouldn't be an issue with a spontaneous second stage free flow.
I would add that I know the manager of the shop well, and we hang out often. We dive together and occasionally go drinking together. The regulator repair guy works out of the shop for the absentee owner, doesn't work for the manager . . . I get along with the service guy, and I want to stay loyal to the shop
What does your manager friend have to say about all of this?

The regulator problem is, according to the shop, that 145 psi for an IP is too high for the ScubaPro octo. They say that the IP should be 135 psi. They are changing the diaphragm on it, and that is that. I will be checking this story out.

The regulator problem is, according to the shop, that 145 psi for an IP is too high for the ScubaPro octo. They say that the IP should be 135 psi. They are changing the diaphragm on it, and that is that. I will be checking this story out.

They should be able to easily tune the Scubapro octo to the MR-22's IP (and 145 is just fine for that first stage, I have two of them).

So you know, since it apparent the tech does not.... you can lower the IP on the MR-22 very easily. But that should not be needed. A simple adjustment of the Scubapro octo should solve the problem.

Hopefully the tech did not tell you the MR-12 is too old to service. It is easily serviced with the service kit for the current MR-12, and in a pinch you can "scavenge" parts from Aqualung Conshelf/Titan service kits to service the MR-12 (and MR-22).

As has been metioned already, but can't hurt to hear once more: Use a different shop to service your regs.

Best wishes.

This shop is telling me that they will sell me a Scubapro at a deep discount, because they feel bad about wrecking the service. The offer is for a Mk17/C300 with a R195 Octo for $515. Another area shop has on sale the Aqualung Legend with octo for $550. If it turns out that I buy a new reg, I am not sure which is the better deal.

Anyway, just venting.

You know what your problem is.......don't you?

You're the same guy who wrote about the tech "Mark" in another thread.

Your problem is that you were dumb enough to bring your regulators within 100 miles of that guy. You know what his ethics are like..... makes me wonder *if* there were holes in the diaphragm and if there were I'd wager that I know who put them there.

Don't be dumb. Take your business somewhere else.

You don't need us to tell you this, but if you're here posting about it then I guess you *do* need us to tell you this....

Run ... do not walk... run away from that shop until such time that they fire "Mark" and get someone who can be trusted.

R..

Man you need to get the hell away from that shop. I don't give a rat's butt if the manager is your brother let alone a friend. He's allowing the tech to screw you six ways to Sunday. Changing the diaphragm is not going to do squat. They need to adjust the IP on the 1st stage to 135 - 140. If they can't do that they have no business touching a reg. Then they need to tune the octo to the IP. Hell if they had any idea as to what they were doing they could tune it to the higher IP. Not ideal but could be done. 145 is the higher end of the range for most reg IP but not outrageous. I'd also strongly urge you to get a copy of Regulator Savvy from Scubatools and study it. It will help you to keep from getting continuously screwed over like you have been.

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2013 at 05:06 PM ----------

Your profile says you are a firefighter/paramedic. What would you do if your squad gear was maintained like this? You'd likely punch the idiot in the mouth and accuse him of trying to kill you. I would. So why are you doing so much fishing for answers you've already been given and not taken any real positive action?

Back
Top Bottom