Regulator Annual Service & Maintenance, Sport’s Biggest Scam???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilEllis:
It's ironic that this regulator comes in at this time, but it certainly proves my case in my original post. These second stages come in for a tune up prior to a big trip. Of course, the customer says "I don't think these regulator need much, because I take really good care of my equipment".

Take a look at what we found when we opened the second stages. Who can guess what caused this? Thanks.

ddobbler3.jpg

Phil Ellis

Dirt daubbers (sp?)

I'd like to give my 2c.

I'm somewhat disappointed with my LDS. I'm not sure really why I feel this way. I brought my reg to the shop and they said they'd have it done by next week. I guess this was the first blow. I can take my reg apart and put it back together in 10 minutes. Stick an IP gauge and other hoses, attatch it to an air source, then test and adjust. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes tops! I mean, they won't even have to clean it anymore, since I cleaned it all up myself!

Then I asked for an estimate. The proprietress gave me a figure that was double to what I estimated by calling the shop the day before. She said that they weren't sure what parts to change, and if I wanted, they could open it to check, but that would cost me the full service charge just to get an estimate. Then I started to tell her that I already inspected the parts (with a magnifying glass, and an otoscope for the internal parts) and everything else was okay, except for the o-rings, the HP seat, filter, circlip, and diaphragm. I started to tell her about the problems I encountered with it, but at this point, she starts talking to another customer and acts as if I no longer existed.

But what could I do? They couldn't just sell me the parts. Against store policy.

Okay, now I can acknowledge that they can get busy - hence the delay, and I know that service isn;t just a matter of throwing in a parts kit, but for goodness sake, they didn't need to do the whole "are you still here?" schtick. Spend or get out. Well, at this point, for me, it wasn't about the money, but the quality of treatment I was receiving. Its enough to make me want to change LDSs.

I'm going to stock up on parts and start doing my own reg maintenance.

From the sound of things, I suspect that the shop will support your idea of finding another dealer to patronize. They might even give you a list of names...

Doc Ed:
I'd like to give my 2c.

I'm somewhat disappointed with my LDS. I'm not sure really why I feel this way. I brought my reg to the shop and they said they'd have it done by next week. I guess this was the first blow. I can take my reg apart and put it back together in 10 minutes. Stick an IP gauge and other hoses, attatch it to an air source, then test and adjust. Shouldn't take more than 30 minutes tops! I mean, they won't even have to clean it anymore, since I cleaned it all up myself!

Then I asked for an estimate. The proprietress gave me a figure that was double to what I estimated by calling the shop the day before. She said that they weren't sure what parts to change, and if I wanted, they could open it to check, but that would cost me the full service charge just to get an estimate. Then I started to tell her that I already inspected the parts (with a magnifying glass, and an otoscope for the internal parts) and everything else was okay, except for the o-rings, the HP seat, filter, circlip, and diaphragm. I started to tell her about the problems I encountered with it, but at this point, she starts talking to another customer and acts as if I no longer existed.

But what could I do? They couldn't just sell me the parts. Against store policy.

Okay, now I can acknowledge that they can get busy - hence the delay, and I know that service isn;t just a matter of throwing in a parts kit, but for goodness sake, they didn't need to do the whole "are you still here?" schtick. Spend or get out. Well, at this point, for me, it wasn't about the money, but the quality of treatment I was receiving. Its enough to make me want to change LDSs.

I'm going to stock up on parts and start doing my own reg maintenance.

I work on a lot of regs for our shop and you should see some of the reg that come in yearly green nasty vertigree all over the outside. O-rings that are barely hanging on. 2nd stages filled with sand. and the owner maybe logged 20-30 dive that year with it.
I service my regs every 6 months, but I am logging 200 to 300 dives a year not including pool, and diving a lot of nitrox easily 75 - 100 nitrox dives a year. even the viton o-rings get ragged after that much use and exposure to higher partial pressures of O2.

Ultimately getting your gear serviced is your call.

reefraff:
From the sound of things, I suspect that the shop will support your idea of finding another dealer to patronize. They might even give you a list of names...

If only that were true...

I think I would've rather been told straight off if there was anything wrong in what I said or did (or if I came across as telling them how to do their jobs). I probably was just taken aback by the difference in the phone estimate and the estimate given face to face.

Well, I'll just give em the benefit of the doubt this time... but I'll probably still end up doing most of my maintenance in the future.

And yes, I think regs should be serviced regularly - no question about it, but I think manufacturers should give people the option of doing it themselves by at least allowing the average diver to attend a service seminar and allow them access to parts.

I think someone in this thread mentioned a c-card for servicing? that sounds like a good plan.

Just had to update this for a sense of balance:

I'm gonna eat crow for a while. Got my reg back after just 4 working days. Spent only a grand total of only $38 for an overhaul (HP seat, o-rings, diaphragm and washer, filter, back-up ring).

Faith restored.

Rick Murchison:
No, it isn't silly, because the service time is similar. Is your time worth less when you're overhauling a small piece of gear like a regulator than it is when you're doing a small job like an oil change on a big piece of gear like a car?
Now, the decision to service or replace may have something to do with the cost of the whole unit, but it does not bear on whether a technician or mechanic should be paid a fair wage for his/her work. Calling a fair wage a "ripoff" based on the cost of the gear being serviced is BS.
You're always free to buy the special tools and parts and do it yourself - as frequently or as infrequently as you desire. That's what I do... but if I decide to have a shop do the work I expect the worker to get paid.
Rick

Yes it is an apples and oranges comparison.........Engine oil Vs. a few Orings? PPPlllease

Lets talk about wear and tear........if you let a car sit for a year on brand new tires they will get flat spots, dryrot and need to be replaced. Drive the same car EVERYDAY and this does not happen. MY regulator is not exposed to blow-torch heat like my engine oil is!!

I don't think the poster was trying offend you as an obvious income earner from the industry. The question was not about the MONEY/FAIR WAGE, it was about the FREQUENTCY.

I personally like to peek in my gear once a year for sake of some DM on a boat dunking my gear in a bucket of "fresh water" when im not looking. I have seen this done MANY time with the yoke cap OFF!

Everyone takes care of there gear differently, some don't rinse, others leave it in the 100+ degree garage and "cook" it.

If you notice in life EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING in lifes standards are set to, to those with the least of ability or brains.

1. Building code standards are set to accomodate the handicapped.

2. Go on a charter dive with ANYBODY that just got certified and you will be doing nothing but 40fsw MAX

3. Chain saws at your local hard ware store have WARNING labes on the chain!

4. Signs on staircases that tell you to hold the hand rail!

The list goes on..............

So somebody has to do the thinking for EVERYBODY so a standard has to be set to SAVE THE IDIOTS from THEMSELVS.

If your LDS reaps the bennies then so be it!

Well, just for some information, has anybody had any problems with their reg that could have been avoided by servicing? If so, how long had it been?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom