Regulator Annual Service & Maintenance, Sport’s Biggest Scam???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
Welcome to the board. I think.

Why don't you back away from the haterade for a moment and fill in your profile so we can all know a bit more about you. Then come back and lay some more articulate alliteration on all of us.

BTW - I think you're right. I mean about the life support equipment.

SB doesn't sell a $10 cup of coffee. :coffee:

Yet.
Rookie.

With two Venti Caramel Macchiatos (one now, one when you finish the first), each with 2 shots of Espresso to give it sufficient kick, it's easy to clear $10.

I suppose that's technically two cups of coffee, but it depends on how fast you down 'em, IMO. :light:

Although re-reading this, if by SB you meant SCUBABOARD doesn't sell a $10 cup of coffee, you're probably right. LOL

PhilEllis:
It's ironic that this regulator comes in at this time, but it certainly proves my case in my original post. These second stages come in for a tune up prior to a big trip. Of course, the customer says "I don't think these regulator need much, because I take really good care of my equipment".

Take a look at what we found when we opened the second stages. Who can guess what caused this? Thanks.

Phil Ellis

My gues "dirt daubbers"

PhilEllis:
Who can guess what caused this? Thanks.

ddobbler3.jpg

Phil Ellis
Congealed sputum........

Scam or no Scam, that's up to your own judgement and view of what the LDS charges and what they provide for that charge.

If you are at all mechanical, then servicing a regulator is no big deal. In fact it's such a small deal in terms of effort and such a big deal in terms of safety that I'd never consider having anyone else work on my regulators. Yes, they're life support equipment, and who better to protect your life then yourself?

The thermoplastic used on those two Mares Nikos regs is pretty tough. I wouldn't want to meet the critters that enjoyed them for a meal...

Greg Barlow

OK, here's my $.02.

I am a reg tech for Scubapro, Atomic, Aqualung, Dacor, and Sherwood. I also collect old regs. I have a Aqualung Aquarius from 1973 that I got brand new, still in the box, never been wet. Just sitting for 33 years grooved the seats so badly they both leaked. An extream example? Yes. However, just sitting for a year causes a pretty good groove, too.

Is yearly service necessary? Realisticly, it's a matter of opinion, and reg care.

How much is too much? $25 a stage plus parts (if not under warrenty), is what I charge, it seems a pretty common rate. If you are paying more than that, I'd shop around a bit.

To tie this all together, I just finished service on a ScubaPro MK5. Older gentleman, he said he had left it in his closet for "a while". The exhaust tee, mouthpiece, and dust cap were dry rotted to having holes in them, the exhaust valve was just gone, both seats were grooved....you get the idea. His rebuild cost, total, was 118.50.

The reg was un-divable before service, was that worth it? My customer thought so, even though that was about what he paid for the reg new.

Bottom line, it's your reg, your money, your peace of mind.

Hello there!

I'm new to the board, and I've been following this interesting thread for a few days now. While I agree to regular maintenance by a qualified tech, there's a question I want to ask using the "car maintenance" analogy. I mean, I change my own oil occasionally, and do some tweaking in my spare time, but there are some things that I would only let an experienced mechanic do. So my question is: Aside from thoroughly rinsing your regulator in fresh water after each dive and proper storage, what are the the things an average diver can do to maintain their own regulators to keep the internals "looking like new?"

Thanks!

Doc Ed:
Aside from thoroughly rinsing your regulator in fresh water

Rinsing is not enough. After SW dives, they need to soak. During a dive, SW invades all the connections up to the o-rings. A rinse is not enough to remove or sufficiently dillute those nooks and crannies.

Doc Ed:
Hello there!
So my question is: Aside from thoroughly rinsing your regulator in fresh water after each dive and proper storage, what are the the things an average diver can do to maintain their own regulators to keep the internals "looking like new?"

Thanks!

as said do the soak, but also look at D.V.T.

http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_regulators_drt.html

Back
Top Bottom